Cleaning range brass ? - Page 2

Cleaning range brass ?

This is a discussion on Cleaning range brass ? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by musicman There is another way. I use a sonic cleaner I bought this past fall and it works great. You can get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cleaning range brass ?

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    There is another way. I use a sonic cleaner I bought this past fall and it works great. You can get several cleanings per solution / water mixter. Although if the cases are greyish black they will not get much better. How ever it does clean them really clean inside and out. I might mention that the primers are removed first using a universal decapping die. This also cleans the primer pockets saving you from having to do it.
    Was thinking of getting a small heated Ultra sonic cleaner for small gun parts may try this to.
    Thanks
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I use 1:1 hot water and vinegar with a couple of drops of dawn. Let the casings soak about 10-15 minutes and most if not all of the carbon will come out of the case. Then place on a cookie sheet and bake at 200 deg for 20 minutes to dry.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    There is another way. I use a sonic cleaner I bought this past fall and it works great. You can get several cleanings per solution / water mixter. Although if the cases are greyish black they will not get much better. How ever it does clean them really clean inside and out. I might mention that the primers are removed first using a universal decapping die. This also cleans the primer pockets saving you from having to do it.
    I gave up cleaning primer pockets long ago and haven't had a failure since. Each firing burns out the residue from the previous. It just not necessary. If I were shooting long-range rifle caliber competition, maybe, but not for handgun ammo.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You can use a 50/50 mixture of vinager and water. Let the brass set for 3-4 hours in it and then rense. It will clean and desolve a lot of the carbon. I tried it once before I got my tumbler and it works.

This cleaner works well for cleaning handguns. It will hold a full size 1911. I would remove the grips, but and disassemble the gun then lay the parts in the cleaner after it has warmed up.I did this and it done a terrific job.you can also clean other items like jewelry/watches etc. If you have any questions just ask me and maybe I can help you.

I have used rubbing alcohol in the past and have had good results I usually soak over night then run in the walnut media for a min of 8 hrs and it looks brand new!!! Hope that works out for ya, I've found that is the only way to get my 223 cases the cleanest.

I'm another who uses hot water with vinegar liberally poured in to clean dirty or range-pick-up brass. Our tap water is fairly hot, the water heater being set at 145F, so I just run enough to well cover the brass as it lies in the bottom of the kitchen sink, slosh it around a bit and leave it for several hours or overnight (or as long as Mrs. McGilvray will let me use her sink). A quick cold water rinse to drain away any loosened grit and it's done.

The vinegar does brighten the brass to a degree. Not nearly like tumbling. I have both a tumbler and a vibrating cleaner but scarcely ever make use of them except for small batches loaded for "special occasions." Not sure what those special occasions might be. Mostly when I want a little bit of shiny rifle brass to load up.

The bird litter mentioned earlier is a keen idea. I may raid our parakeet Sophie's supply to try that out. Never thought of it until reading this thread.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have gotten where I really do not tumble much brass. I have started washing it and I am pleased with the results so that is what I do. I put about 500 pieces in a 1 1/2 of warm water, ad 1 cup white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of dish detergent. I leave it in the mix for about 30 minutes, shaking it up about every 5 minutes. When I take it out of the mix, I rinse in a warm water/baking soda solution and then pour them out to sit and dry. This works pretty well for me and is quick. It does not make them as shiny as tumbling, but it is a lot quicker for me.

EDIT: The above process is done after decapping.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    The walnut litter at pet smart really works? will give it a try.
    Walnut or Corn Cob are both used. Walnut does a little better job 'cleaning' and Corn Cob will do a little better job polishing, but in the end both work well.

Here's a link to a good price on Corn Cob, 40 lbs. shipped for $25

Econoline 526020G-40 40 Lbs Blast Media

Okay, wasn't going to ask, but..... I've been thinking about combining brass, the stainless media and wet formula into a paint shaker can and shaking it for a short time. Thinking they have a 5 gal shaker should it prove out okay. Anybody try this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Walnut or Corn Cob are both used. Walnut does a little better job 'cleaning' and Corn Cob will do a little better job polishing, but in the end both work well.

Here's a link to a good price on Corn Cob, 40 lbs. shipped for $25

Econoline 526020G-40 40 Lbs Blast Media
    I bought some of this stuff after using the Lizard Litter. It is definitely cleaner and less dust. I got it in two days and it was marked from Grainger's.

I use a cap full of Nufinish and a cap full of mineral Spirits and add some pieces of used dryer sheets to keep the media clean and the dust down.

It may not be necessary but I like shiny brass.

You might want to look into this.

Tiny Stainless Steel rods. A bit pricy to begin with, but you will never need to buy media again. It only works on tumblers tho. Vibrators don't work

Stainless Steel Reloading Supplies | Tumblers, Seperators, Media & More!

Chris

I pretty much only use range brass. I toss them in the tumbler, set the timer to an hour and a half and walk away. I don't have any problems with dirty brass

To each his (or her) own, I tumble it (about an hour unless I have some really nasty stuff) and load it. Doesn't matter to me if it is stained.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I started swaging 22 LR brass into 223 bullets,they recommend that you heat up some soapy water and stir the brass the boiling water and soap will loosen and clean a lot of the crud,then rinse in hot water and when you throw it out on a towel the hot cases will help dry themselves,then tumble to finish
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links