Synthetic Motor Oil for Case Lube? - Page 2

Synthetic Motor Oil for Case Lube?

This is a discussion on Synthetic Motor Oil for Case Lube? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well, I got to the range today and fired a box of factory Winchesters, a few factory Federals and all 10 of the loads I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthetic Motor Oil for Case Lube?

VIP Member
    Well, I got to the range today and fired a box of factory Winchesters, a few factory Federals and all 10 of the loads I lubed with synthetic motor oil. I must admit, I had 1 primer failure - but it was a Winchester factory load, not one of my reloads. I fired the darn thing 3 times and it just went click. All the reloads performed well and they gave the best groups (1 group of 3 was right at an inch @ 100 yards. FWIW, the reloads never touched the gun or other rounds until after the factory rounds were fired, so there could not have been any cross contamination.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Update on and termination of the experiment.

I have processed about 100 rounds by lubing them with synthetic motor oil. I have fired 60 of these - none have exhibited any issues. That having been said, after cleaning the oil off the rounds by tumbling them, they are dirty (see ETA below). This dirt does not appear to impact the powder or primers, but it leaves you hands black. Because of this issue, I am discontinuing the use of synthetic motor oil for lubing cases.

Glockman10mm - you mentioned the Hornady lube. I looked at this at Bass Pro and it looks like a wax-based product. As I understand it, you spray it on and let it dry - a couple of minutes - then resize/decap. Is there any cleaning after resizing/decapping or do you go straight to trimming and loading? I appreciate your input.

ETA - the cases don't look dirty, but they leave your hands black after further processing.
    Last edited by ksholder; April 1st, 2011 at 10:36 PM.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Ksholder,
    I have almost completely gone to Dillons spray lube. I put 100 or so cases in a cake pan on a paper towel, (shake lube) spray a spritz or two, shake the pan a little to roll the cases a little, then spritz again. I can then size them in my Rockchucker (223 & 308 military crimp for further processing) or dump them in the shell feeder of my Dillon 650 (processed cases) and start pulling the lever. The lube works great, and either wipes off easily or goes for a 10 minute ride in the tumbler. Clean and pristine. On the present bottle, less than half a bottle has accounted for over 5000 rounds.

Good luck,
    Terry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exsimguy1 View Post
    Ksholder,
    I have almost completely gone to Dillons spray lube. I put 100 or so cases in a cake pan on a paper towel, (shake lube) spray a spritz or two, shake the pan a little to roll the cases a little, then spritz again. I can then size them in my Rockchucker (223 & 308 military crimp for further processing) or dump them in the shell feeder of my Dillon 650 (processed cases) and start pulling the lever. The lube works great, and either wipes off easily or goes for a 10 minute ride in the tumbler. Clean and pristine. On the present bottle, less than half a bottle has accounted for over 5000 rounds.

Good luck,
    Terry
    Terry - Thanks for the info on the Dillons lube. When you put your cases back in the tumbler, do you get corn cob bits stuck in the primer holes? One of the things I am trying to get rid of, in addition to the dirt, is having to pick corn cob bits out of the primer hole. The Hornady's product looks like it may be spray, let dry, and process with no further cleaning required. That would take a couple of steps out of the process - the second tumbling and clearing primer holes. That is why I asked Glockman10mm about his experience with the Hornadys. I am sure the Dillons works great, but if I can speed up the process by removing steps, I am game for that.

Ksholder,
    No extra steps to it. If I stick them in the tumbler, they are primed,charged, and loaded. Clean corncob takes any lube off quickly, and gives everything a nice clean shine. No lube, no dust, no wiping.

On the other hand, if I am sizing/de-priming military crimped cases, other steps (trimming, primer pocket reaming) must be done anyway. Normally my steps are
    Tumble
    Lube
    Size/deprime
    process
    Lube again
    Load

By the way Dillons will still lube when dry (I have run cases left in the case feeder days later.
    Terry

Re the Hornady spray lube, once I lube the cases and let them dry, I begin the priming, powder and bullet seating from there. I never place cases back into tumble media with lube on it. Never. If desired, and I sometimes do this, I will wipe any excess lube off the completed round as I place them into the ammo box.
    This serves as an additional visual check of the completed round.

Remember, straight wall cases such as pistols, do not have to be lubed. Only bottle neck cartridges, as long as you are using quality carbide dies. Hope this helps.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Glockman10mm - thanks for the input. That does help. I will try the Hornady's lube. I can pick this up at Bass Pro but they don't have the Dillons at my store.

VIP Member
    Well, I tried the Hornady's lube today. Much quicker and less messy, but your hands still get turned black working with the shells. I did clean the dies with Hoppes #9 (Love Potion #9) prior to using the Hornady's, so the dies were clean.

ksholder,
    Are you tumbling first? If so, have you tried NEW CLEAN media? With clean tumbled brass, hands should not be getting dirty with other than the lube being used.

Terry

VIP Member
    Terry - good idea. I have not switched out the media and that could be the issue. Old oil with lead and poweder residue. I will try that. Thanks.

ksholder,
    I have used a lot of different kinds of media over the years. Expensive stuff, cheap stuff, with polishing additive, without. Wore out a few tumblers over the years also.

Presently am very happy with Berry's tumbler offering, great warranty (have already exercised it). Quiet, fast, efficient. Their corncob media is top-notch, and available seperately in bulk. I use their media clean, no additives for normal cleaning, and have a seperate batch for assembled loads. I change the media when it looks dirty, and use the dirty media WITH polishing additive for really dirty brass in the last Lyman tumbler I have left. I have worn out 2 before it, and it isn't long for the world. When it dies, I'll buy another one from Berry's and rotate the first one to dirty brass duty.
    After the first cleaning, it goes to the "clean" tumbler, unless it's really fubar or contaminated with something.

Having multiple batches of media seperate and available limits any contamination problem to one batch. Then you just scrap that batch (just be willing to do it when needed).

Good Luck,

Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links