Help with .45 ACP bullet selection

This is a discussion on Help with .45 ACP bullet selection within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am just beginning reloading and I was curious what most people use as far as bullet types. When I have purchased ammo, I always ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with .45 ACP bullet selection

Help with .45 ACP bullet selection

I am just beginning reloading and I was curious what most people use as far as bullet types. When I have purchased ammo, I always shot 230 grain FMJ. I see the price to use cast lead is much cheaper. What are the downsides? What about using the plated lead? Is it better? Is FMJ worth the additional cost? I will be reloading these to shoot in my Springfield Armory Loaded Champion SS. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

The 200 gr lead semi-wadcutter is sort of the classic bullet for reloads. You'll always get a trace (or more) of leading shooting unjacketed bullets, but look at the cost savings compared to 10 extra minutes to get lead out of your bore once a month.

Is FMJ worth the cost? Only you can decide what's right for you. If you don't shoot a lot, then I'd say 'probably.'

I would run up a batch of plated bullets and compare their performance to that of lead - accuracy, velocity, cleanliness, then make a decision.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would take the above advice and run with it.

The only thing I can add to Gasmitty's advice is that if you have a problem feeding the 200g LSWC is try different mags. I have a 1911 that feeds LSWC 100% with Wilson mags but stumbles every once in a while with factory mags. Same gun feeds hardball and hollowpoints just fine with either mag.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Administrator
    Use these two products from JB to radically reduce Leading & Copper fouling in your barrel. BROWNELLS : J-B BORE BRIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Actually most modern high quality barrels can just get away with using the Bore Bright.
    It is such an ultra-fine polish that it will not wear your bore lands/grooves.
    I still use it and it's an amazing product that really works as advertised and is well the few bucks if you intend to shoot a lot of Lead.

The Final Finish For Your Barrel, Improves Accuracy, Reduces Cleaning Effort

A micro-fine bore cleaning and finishing compound that works as both a cleaner and a final polish to help keep barrels free of fouling and shooting their absolute best. Regular use gives your barrel a mirror-like finish that helps prevent the build-up of accuracy robbing copper fouling, plus greatly reduces cleaning effort. Clean your barrel as you normally would, then after cleaning with J-B Compound, follow with J-B Bore Bright to achieve a super clean, final polish. At the range, regular use of J-B Bore Bright between strings of fire minimizes the accumulation of jacket fouling to help maintain consistent accuracy. As a bore cleaner, the soft, oil-paste formula liquefies as you use it to quickly remove fouling, copper, lead, and powder residue in rifles and handguns, plus plastic deposits in shotgun bores. Because J-B Bore Bright is absolutely non-embedding it wipes easily from the barrel with a dry patch. You never need to worry about Bore Bright harming your barrel.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Yeah you just gotta watch leading in your barrel is all. A good lead cleaner through your bore and you're good to go.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Lead is cheaper than FMJ - roughly $7 per 500 projectiles. That disparity will likely increase as metals increase in price. I've been buying my projectiles from Oregon Trail (Home) and FMJ-type from Midway and Graf & Sons. Now and then, Graf has Armscor 230 grain FMJ. Midway sells 500 Rainier 200 grain RN (plated) for $71.95. Oregon Trail sells 500 Laser-Cast LRN for $64.25. Personally, I'd rather pay Midway's shipping and the difference for projectiles my 1911's fully digest without hiccups. I have two blue Maxwell House coffee "cans" full of rounds loaded with lead projectiles. I bought them specifically for IDPA shooting. Every match without fail I have feeding issues. I've modified OAL, tried mags from the best makers in the marketplace (Wilson, McCormick, et al). Both of my 1911's prefer FMJ or JHP to lead - anyone's lead. Neither of my 1911's like Berry bullets in any weight. The loaded lead and Berry bullets go plinking and target shooting while the FMJ and plated bullets go to the matches.
    Last edited by sniper58; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: syntax
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

[QUOTE=QKShooter;1883978]Use these two products from JB to radically reduce Leading & Copper fouling in your barrel. BROWNELLS : J-B BORE BRIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Actually most modern high quality barrels can just get away with using the Bore Bright.
    It is such an ultra-fine polish that it will not wear your bore lands/grooves.
    I still use it and it's an amazing product that really works as advertised and is well the few bucks if you intend to shoot a lot of Lead.

The Final Finish For Your Barrel, Improves Accuracy, Reduces Cleaning Effort

+1 on JB! I started using JB Bore Cleaner (Bore Bright wasn't available back then) on my Anschutz target .22 (mod. 1407) when I was competing in the '70's. Some said it would "destroy" my barrel. I put over 100,000 rounds through that Anschutz between 1971 and 1976 - the year I won the Ohio Governor's Trophy Match and both state championships (indoor and outdoor). JB is good stuff - it will NOT ruin your barrel or adversely affect your accuracy. I use it on my .30-06 and all three pistols. A word of caution: a little goes a long way! Be prepared to run 20+ patches through the bore before you can expect to see a clean patch!
    Last edited by sniper58; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I've been buying my projectiles from Oregon Trail (Home)
    I'm in Baker City pretty frequently (where Oregon trail Bullet is based), and have wondered about them. They don't have a storefront, so I've never gotten any. How is their product?

Administrator
    Way back when I was really shooting a lot more than I am these days I was mostly shooting Lead reloads made up by a local reloader.
    They were dirt cheap & shot as dirty as they were cheap.
    The difference in overall bore accumulation after using JB was pretty profound and that is what originally sold me on the product.
    And speaking of .22 rim-fire my scoped Weatherby MK XXII actually slightly improved in accuracy.

"+1 on JB! I started using JB Bore Cleaner (Bore Bright wasn't available back then) on my Anschutz target .22 (mod. 1407) when I was competing in the '70's. Some said it would "destroy" my barrel. I put over 100,000 rounds through that Anschutz between 1971 and 1976 - the year I won the Ohio Governor's Trophy Match and both state championships (indoor and outdoor). JB is good stuff - it will NOT ruin your barrel or adversely affect your accuracy. I use it on my .30-06 and all three pistols. A word of caution: a little goes a long way! Be prepared to run 20+ patches through the bore before you can expect to see a clean patch!"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't buy components in huge quantities, just what I anticipate using in the reasonable near future (200-330 primers, 1 lb of powder, 500 230 grn LRNs). It cost @$950 for a box of fifty .45s loaded. Larger bulk would lower that even more. Leading has been minimal at most. A good scrubing with a piece of Chore Boy copper scrubbing pad and Hoppes cleans it right out.

My Glock 30 doesn't seem to want to digest SWCs so I stick with LRNs. To me, it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to make SWCs work just to punch a cleaner hole in the target.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Does the lead harm the barrel at all or is it just like powder where it cleans off and the barrel is back to new condition? (I understand that rifling wears down and barrels can be shot out but I don't shoot that much). Anyone order bullets from gunbroker? I saw what seemed to be some good deals. Any brands preferred? Any to stay away from? Thanks again.

With the right material, you can clean your barrel and get rid of the residue, lead, jacketing, etc.

Xader - Oregon Trail's Laser-Cast projectiles are very good, VERY hard (lead, silver and other metals used in the mfg. process) and reasonably priced - plus they pay shipping! Most of the people at my IDPA matches use the product and have no issues. My 1911's, for one reason or another, don't shoot them well. Hence my reason for sticking with Ranier plated or FMJ/JHP projectiles. Your pistols might love them.

I haven't bought projectiles from anyone listing on gunbroker.com so I can't say anything about the matter. I have bought some small quantities of loaded mil-spec .30-06 (South Korean and Greek 150 FMJ) and was treated fairly with good prices and rapid turnaround. BTW - those loaded rounds aren't for hunting or the best performing rounds, but nice to have on hand just in case....
    Last edited by sniper58; March 4th, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: format
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by clvlndta3 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. Does the lead harm the barrel at all or is it just like powder where it cleans off and the barrel is back to new condition? (I understand that rifling wears down and barrels can be shot out but I don't shoot that much). Anyone order bullets from gunbroker? I saw what seemed to be some good deals. Any brands preferred? Any to stay away from? Thanks again.
    Check out Missouri Bullet Co. in a neighborhood near you! Excellent quality and fast shipping.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I pretty much stopped using lead bullets and have switched to copper plated bullets for my semi autos.

Raineer and Berry's have some pretty good products from my experience. Berry's are running from 125 to about 142 bukcs for 1000 in various weights and configurations for the 45 acp, and they pay the shipping.

Of course when you start saving money from reloading your just going to shoot more.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links