What do I need to start? - Page 2

What do I need to start?

This is a discussion on What do I need to start? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Forget the trimmer. Get a good set of scales. A good reloading manual (or 2, 3). Approach reloading as another hobby rather than a necessary ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do I need to start?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Forget the trimmer. Get a good set of scales. A good reloading manual (or 2, 3). Approach reloading as another hobby rather than a necessary evil to afford shooting. You'll enjoy it more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Also, I enjoy/recommend a trickler that will add a few grains of powder from the built-in side spout. If a cartridge is off, or say
    .1 or .2 gr. short of the intended powder charge, the trickler will gradually add more powder to the desired amout.

Started out with two tricklers, one plastic, and one that feels like cast iron, and sold the plastic one.
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

If you have a harbor freight near you you can get the tumbler and media cheaper from them. Here in orlando they used to sell 24# of media for $25, that will last you quite a long time. The tumblers were also a bit cheaper as they aren't name brand stuff. Plus seems like there are always coupons in the paper and in the NRA mags for 20% off single items so you save even more that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    If you have a harbor freight near you you can get the tumbler and media cheaper from them. Here in orlando they used to sell 24# of media for $25, that will last you quite a long time. The tumblers were also a bit cheaper as they aren't name brand stuff. Plus seems like there are always coupons in the paper and in the NRA mags for 20% off single items so you save even more that way as well.
    My recollection is that they also had nice deals on calipers.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    My recollection is that they also had nice deals on calipers.
    Yes their newest ad has a caliper for $9.99 w/ coupon instead of the usual $29.99. Sadly they seem to only accept one coupon per order so I'll be having to make multiple trips or just bring a couple buddies with me when I go :)

Media? If you live near a city, visit the Lizard Dept. at Petsmart or Petco. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. They have corn cob, and ground walnut in manageable sizes for reasonable dollars-much lower priced than Midway or other reloading suppliers!

On that first trip, I spent less than $10 total for both. Here I am years later, and I've yet to run out. And no shipping cost!
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links