Most needed powder

Most needed powder

This is a discussion on Most needed powder within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; If the world were to go south tommorow (shtf), what would be the gun powder of choice be? I load 45acp, 44mag and 30-06 and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Most needed powder

Most needed powder

If the world were to go south tommorow (shtf), what would be the gun powder of choice be?

I load 45acp, 44mag and 30-06 and use vN320. I am considering loading 9mm and 380 also.

I am looking to use one powder for multiple calibers so I can just keep up with grns per calber and just keep one powder in stock.

Just a scenario.

I only load pistol so my needs are different than someone that loads rifle, so my response will be only a partial answer to the problem posted. Also, I personally think that everyone will have a favorite or favorites that work for them. But, as I get older and have a greater desire to keep things simpler, I find that I almost operate from this emergency position now. With all of that said, I have gotten where I use more W231 than any other powder, as I have loads with it for most of the calibers that I reload that work very well for me.

If I were going to handload for everything in my personal firearms menagerie, from the .25 ACP to the .44 Magnum in handgun cartridges, from the .22 Hornet to the .375 H&H Magnum and .405 Winchester in rifle cartridges, along with all gauges of shotguns, and do it all with a single propellant, I would choose Unique. It actually could be done quite easily and would yield safe and nominally effective ammunition.

However, one doesn't want to be constrained to shoot .30-06 ammunition that is significantly less powerful than the 7.62X39 so trying to go to one single powder isn't practical at all except in a survivalist scenario.

It would be far more practical to at least settle on two for the cartridges you list.

N320 is a good deal quicker burning than good ol' Unique and would have little practical application in the .30-06 unless one wanted to make up some sort of specialty round ball load using 0 buckshot pressed into the case mouth for shooting small pests at short range. At least Unique can propel a 150 grain jacketed spitzer bullet to nearly 2000 feet per second with a safe powder charge.

Useful loads for all the handgun rounds you mention could be made up using N320 but throwing .30-06 into the mix distorts things too badly. Surely you aren't currently using N320 for .30-06 handloads.
    pistola likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

No. I use IMR 4831 for the 30 -06.
    I have been highly impressed with the vN320 for the handgun rounds. I have been leaning towards the 231 for some time now and will probably work up some 44 loads to play with.
    The only throwback for the vN320 is the expense but, and I'm not exactly sure because I dont have a book here with me, I use significanlty less powder using vN320 (5grns/45acp and 10grns/44 mag) than I would using 231.
    I have noticed alot of bullseye recipes for these two rounds. Any input on bullseye?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If I were going to handload for everything in my personal firearms menagerie, from the .25 ACP to the .44 Magnum in handgun cartridges, from the .22 Hornet to the .375 H&H Magnum and .405 Winchester in rifle cartridges, along with all gauges of shotguns, and do it all with a single propellant, I would choose Unique. It actually could be done quite easily and would yield safe and nominally effective ammunition.

However, one doesn't want to be constrained to shoot .30-06 ammunition that is significantly less powerful than the 7.62X39 so trying to go to one single powder isn't practical at all except in a survivalist scenario.

It would be far more practical to at least settle on two for the cartridges you list.

N320 is a good deal quicker burning than good ol' Unique and would have little practical application in the .30-06 unless one wanted to make up some sort of specialty round ball load using 0 buckshot pressed into the case mouth for shooting small pests at short range. At least Unique can propel a 150 grain jacketed spitzer bullet to nearly 2000 feet per second with a safe powder charge.

Useful loads for all the handgun rounds you mention could be made up using N320 but throwing .30-06 into the mix distorts things too badly. Surely you aren't currently using N320 for .30-06 handloads.
    ^^^ This ^^^

If you could only have 1 powder, Unique works well on handgun and shotgun rounds and can be made to work passably for rifles.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

UNIQUE No dought about it ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My LGS told me Win got a huge military contract and 231 may not be available for about a year. Might not believe a kid in Walmart, but this is a guy who has been around a while. Guess that tells me to keep a recipe book with a few of the powders listed. I suppose 231 is very popular and it may be gone in a hurry and you are left with only Billy Bob's Mountain Powder, or making your own.

Sponsored Links