Berry's Bullets

This is a discussion on Berry's Bullets within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just ordered all my equipment for reloading 9mm and 45 acp. Will be in a S&W m&p9c, sig 226, and 1911. I started looking ...

Thread: Berry's Bullets

Berry's Bullets

I just ordered all my equipment for reloading 9mm and 45 acp. Will be in a S&W m&p9c, sig 226, and 1911. I started looking for bullets and am thinking of going with the plated bullets from berry's.

What are peoples experiences with these?

Is there anything I should be aware of when shooting lead rounds?

I only have shot factory FMJ so I'm not sure if it has any negative affects to use the plated lead.

Also, what kind of load data should I follow? I would assume the lead data for the type of round I'm using. Was looking to go with unique as my powder, but don't know if that is good for lead.

2. Remove Ads

The plated bullets should be fine as I have seen positive feedback about them from others, but I have never used them personally. I reload a lot and I primarily use cast (lead) bullets for almost all of my reloading. Occasionally, I will use some hollow points for reloading, but not very often.

You should get a good reloading manual such as a Lyman and read the beginner info before attempting your first reloads. A lot of this info you may know, but a refresher is never a bad thing. Also, if you have questions, this is a great place with a wealth of knowledge that can be a fantastic resource for experienced as well a newbie reloaders.

As for powder, in my opinion, Unique is a good place to start.

Good luck as you are entering one of the only addictions that is very rewarding.

I got the lee reloading manual coming in. I assume it will have better load data than what I'm finding online.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I got the lee reloading manual coming in. I assume it will have better load data than what I'm finding online.
    It will have accurate load data that you can trust backed up by years of experience.

If you are unfamiliar with the actual process of reloading, go to Youtube and search ammo reloading....there are some pretty informative videos on there.

Watched a few videos. Got a good idea of whats going on. I assume i would follow Lead RN data when I use the plated RN. Is it essential to follow the listed primer or can they be used interchangeably?

I have loaded quite a few thousand Berry's bullets with great results. I have loaded 38/357, 9mm, 44mag, and 45acp bullets of most weights. The lead bullet data is close, and more and more plated data is starting to be available. I use mostly fast powders, (ww231, Hodgdons Titegroup) and load up to around 1200fps (in the magnums) but not always. Mid range speeds in the magnums give great economy and accuracy for frequent shooting (around 900-1000fps) using Titegroup mostly as it is non case position sensitive. In the non magnums, duplicating non +P velocities gives better than factory accuracy in most any load. Berrys bullets are an all around great bullet and great bullet-buy. I do not hesitate to carry a good load with HP or flat point for SD either. YMMV. Of course, I have carried 200gr LSWC for SD in 45acp and felt comfortable as long as I was the one loading them.

Terry

I wish Berrys made a 230gr HP or TCFP they would work fine for practice or SD.

I've used lots of plated bullets and they work great. Use Lead load data not FMJ, they are softer then jacketed bullets and can't be pushed as fast. TJCONEVERA.COM is a great place to get them and they pay shipping.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Good comments above. I like Berry's okay and have used them in 9, 357, and 40. A couple of added notes: they are relatively soft, so avoid overcrimping and cutting into the plating, and I needed to expand a little more than with jacketed to get a smooth bullet seating.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links