Damaged brass

Damaged brass

This is a discussion on Damaged brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am reading through my manual. It mentions to get rid of damaged brass. What type of damage does this include? I was hoping to ...

Thread: Damaged brass

Damaged brass

I am reading through my manual. It mentions to get rid of damaged brass. What type of damage does this include? I was hoping to find some clear images of what is acceptable and what is not.

Some of my 45 acp cases are dented on the top a bit. Also there is a small dent on the side of some of the cases. It looks like it gets hit during ejecting. Can i reload this?

By the way some cases still have a little build up after being tumbled. Does the inside need to be completely clear?

VIP Member
    Splits, cracks or bulged cases need to be trashed. If the dent is really big I'd trash it too. Little dents and dings are no big deal.

Fired cases are always a little dirty inside. It's no big deal. I have loaded dirty cases (not tumbled) a thousand times. The dirt isn't really a big deal but dirty cases can scratch you dies. A little dirt inside is no big deal.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

So it sounds like if the resizing corrects it I'm good to go.

+1 on atctimmy's comment and your reply. Obviously, cracked cases get trashed. Dings and dents, just resize, as you said. I will say that I'm a little more picky on 40 S&W brass, but still don't worry about minor dings and I do case gauge all the resized rounds.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    So it sounds like if the resizing corrects it I'm good to go.
    Bingo, Should be good to go ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Don't worry about dirty insides, not even dirty primer pockets. Splits, cracks, yeah toss 'em. Dents and dings? Size and reload. I've reused 100s of 5.56 cases with big ejection dings. They won't hold a max load of powder the first reload, but the firing will remove the ding.

One thing I examine close is case mouths as I pick up a lot of range brass. Nicks and cuts in the mouth edge lead to splits. Running a chamfer tool over the mouth edge will remove the roughness and deburr it, making the cases last longer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For me, cracks, splits, large dents (enough to change the internal volume significantly), of ones i just dont like the condition it seems to be in, it gets tossed. In reloading, if something doesnt feel right, dont do it (or use the case)

Links