.45 Acp Seating question

This is a discussion on .45 Acp Seating question within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm using a old Lyman Seating die for .45 ACP I was loading 200 SWC. With the die I only have the SWC seater. Now ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: .45 Acp Seating question

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

.45 Acp Seating question

I'm using a old Lyman Seating die for .45 ACP I was loading 200 SWC.

With the die I only have the SWC seater. Now I purchased some Berry's plated fmj Rn bullets to load so my question is: In a pinch is it okay to seat Ball with a SWC seater?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Will work just fine, be sure to check OAL with a dial caliper.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If you have a Taper Crimp Die....much better accuracy, less chance of jams due to being little too large for chamber too.

In a pinch, it will be fine. I've done it before just because I was too lazy to change out seating plugs in favor of the round nose one.

You may find that the SWC seating plug will cut, score, or rub the noses of the round nose bullets, leaving some sort of ring around the bullet's noses. The plated bullets will be even more prone to this marring. It will only be a cosmetic issue and will not affect the accuracy of the load you have prepared.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    In a pinch, it will be fine. I've done it before just because I was too lazy to change out seating plugs in favor of the round nose one.

You may find that the SWC seating plug will cut, score, or rub the noses of the round nose bullets, leaving some sort of ring around the bullet's noses. The plated bullets will be even more prone to this marring. It will only be a cosmetic issue and will not affect the accuracy of the load you have prepared.
    Hoped you would show up here. I never loaded swc before in an acp, so didnt know about this one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links