Hodgdon load data

This is a discussion on Hodgdon load data within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I see their load data specifies what primer was used at the top. This is off their website by the way. For 45 acp it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Hodgdon load data

Hodgdon load data

I see their load data specifies what primer was used at the top. This is off their website by the way. For 45 acp it states federal primers. If I use CCI primers am I going to have problems?

2. Remove Ads

Nope, just start at the bottom load data and work your way up to find what works for you. Check for pressure signs and case damage if you get close to max loads.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Farronwolf is right. Switching brands of similar components is perfectly alright if you carefully work up from starting loads. Another thing to consider is that even if you use the same brand of cases, same primers, same bullets, same propellant powder, as is stated in a manual, many variables are possible due to potential differences in manufacturing lots.

Anytime one replaces supplies of components he should repeat the process of working up loads if they are much over suggested starting loads. Just ladling in the familiar powder charge of that favored max or near max load won't cut it because of lot to lot variations. It's easy to control this aspect of safe handloading. One has no excuse if taking a shortcut causes ammunition that gives unsatisfactory surprises.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't worry about using different manufacturer's primers (this assumes we are NOT discussing mixing magnum and standard) unless making loads that are above mid-range. At that point I will do another load workup. Going back to the start load is certainly the safest thing to do; especially if you are fairly new to reloading. Over 30 years, I guess I have used most primer products and CCI is a good quality product.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links