need advice for equipment

This is a discussion on need advice for equipment within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; i have been realoading rifle brass for a few years now and want to start for my pistolas' i have a single stage redding press ...

i have been realoading rifle brass for a few years now and want to start for my pistolas'

i have a single stage redding press (thing is built like a tank) i want to get some of these dies in 9mm and 45acp:
    Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger - MidwayUSA

what do you think?

without reading anything about pistol reloading how does it differ from reloading for my rifles? any different steps specific for handguns?

im i good with a single stage? or should i get something like this:
    Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 45 ACP - MidwayUSA

i want good equipment but i dont want to spend the kind of $$ i did when i got started with rifle reloading. i shoot long range and got some really expensive equipment when i started out. with pistols i want cheap but good because i want to put alot of lead down range.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First off, make sure Redding accepts the standard die threads. Some brands do not. For some reason I thought Redding uses a different thread.

I started out with a Herter's single-stage press (tougher than a tank!) and still use it, although these days I do most of my resizing with a Lee hand press while relaxing in my recliner. I'm not too concerned with speed or massive quantities of rounds, so the single stage still works for me. I only load pistol rds these days.

The Lee progressive will get the job done at a low investment cost. I prefer to use powder dropper over the auto-comp, but each to their own. The progressive will definitely have an advantage with loading larger quantities, but the potential of making a mistake increases.

I've always used 3-die carbide sizing sets and have never had a seating/crimping issue when the dies are properly set up (and therein lies the problem). Again, for those who prefer 4 dies, to each his own. What works for you works for you.

Really no difference between rifle/pistol reloading. With the carbide dies no lubing is needed (hated that) but with the small pistol cases, proper powder measuring is more critical due to small variances result in larger pressure changes, particulaly in the smaller cases like 9mm and such. That's why I prefer a powder dropper. I use HP-38 and once I set the dropper for my preferred load, the weight never varies even as much as .1 grain.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good advice from OldVet. Unless you load a great number of rounds per month, the single stage would be fine IMO. I do use a Lee FCD for loading for my 40, out of caution, but am happy with a 3 die set for loading the 9 and 45. I don't load rifle, but I understand that trimming to standard case lengths is important. Most reloaders will tell you case trimming isn't necessary for handgun cases.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Unless you are going to be loading tons of ammo, I would at least start the press you have. Make sure that your press will take the Lee dies. I suspect it will as I have Lee, RCBS, Redding and Lyman dies that all fit on my Lyman turrets, but it would be good to check that your press will take the Lees. I know that the Lee shell holders will not work with the Lyman system, not sure about the Redding system - but you should check as without the right shell holders you are out of luck.

As noted above, carbide dies will take the lubing out of the equation. I know many don't trim handgun cases, I do if they exceed the max length - maybe I am anal, but I do it nonetheless.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Unless you are going to be loading tons of ammo, I would at least start the press you have. Make sure that your press will take the Lee dies. I suspect it will as I have Lee, RCBS, Redding and Lyman dies that all fit on my Lyman turrets, but it would be good to check that your press will take the Lees. I know that the Lee shell holders will not work with the Lyman system, not sure about the Redding system - but you should check as without the right shell holders you are out of luck.

As noted above, carbide dies will take the lubing out of the equation. I know many don't trim handgun cases, I do if they exceed the max length - maybe I am anal, but I do it nonetheless.

this was my next question.....what do you use to trim handgun cases? i use the simple drill and lee device for my rifle cases. do they have the same thing for handguns? how many reloads can you get out of say remington brass? and if most dont trim they must find that the case don't stretch after resizing x amount of times?

what are the +P brass????

and my press will except lee dies

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    [/COLOR]

this was my next question.....what do you use to trim handgun cases? i use the simple drill and lee device for my rifle cases. do they have the same thing for handguns? how many reloads can you get out of say remington brass? and if most dont trim they must find that the case don't stretch after resizing x amount of times?

what are the +P brass????

and my press will except lee dies
    I use a Lyman mill - kinda looks like a lathe, but it cuts on the vertical rather than horizontal.

Lyman Universal Case Trimmer Kit with 9 Pilots - MidwayUSA

+P rounds are loaded to a higher pressure than standard pressure rounds.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

so can you reload +P cases to standard pressures? trying to decide on which brass to use. or do you only load +P to higher pressures? remington sells both standard and +P cases which would be better for beginning handgun loader?

You can load all cases to +Ps Or to max, Just work your way up. As far as trimming a handgun case they usually shrink.
    Some trim to size the same, I just load shoot untill they crack & throw em out YMMV ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Most likely just the headstamp that reads +P. If you were loading at max and wanted to keep your max loads separate from the target loads I might see a need for the different brass. However I mark the boxes with the load. Type bullet, powder and charge weight.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

ahhh.. alright thanks...makes sense

Links