Flat Bottom Rifle Bullets

This is a discussion on Flat Bottom Rifle Bullets within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a question for all the experienced reloaders. I have purchased 100 Hornady's V-MAX .224 bullets which have flat (not boat tail) bottoms. My ...

Thread: Flat Bottom Rifle Bullets

VIP Member

Flat Bottom Rifle Bullets

I have a question for all the experienced reloaders. I have purchased 100 Hornady's V-MAX .224 bullets which have flat (not boat tail) bottoms. My resizing dies do not bell the case as would be the case for pistol rounds. I am having difficulty getting the bullet to sit in the case long enough to seat the bullet. I am reloading for a .223 Mini-14.

Is there a trick to working with flat bottom rifle bullets? I appreciate the wisdom and experience of this group.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Your resizing die should have an approriatley sized ball on the stem. When you resize, it should allow the bullet to drop in. If not, you'll just have to figure out a way to hold the bullet and quide it into the case.

If you got a neck sizer only, then you wouldnt have the bell on the case. If you are loading for a Mini 14,you should be full length resizing which has the ball on the stem that opens up the case enough to allow the bullet to enter.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The die - a Redding full length resize die - opens the mouth and makes it round after the Mini-14 makes it kidney shapped, but the flat bottom bullets don't slide in. I am glad I only got 100 as I will probably migrate to boat tails to make the loading easier. I have found that putting a punch in the neck and working the mouth will open it, but that is not a long-term solution.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Use a chamfering tool to slightly chamfer the case neck. What happens is the case mouth is very flat and a slight chamfer on the inside edge will allow the bullet to start easily.

RCBS Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber - MidwayUSA
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I never had a problem with my RCBS dies with either boattail or flatbased bullets. It doesn't flare the mouth any.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

ksholder,
    Rifle dies (bottleneck 2 die set) cannot bell the case, as the neck is sized down, and expanded only inline. A small chamfer with a case chamfer tool will allow the bullet to seat without damage. On most dies there is no support for the bullet when entering the die, as you are finding out. Most of the time the bullet seats just fine, but can get out of line in worst case, and deform the neck some.
    In my high volume calibers, I have found the Hornady (used to be Pacific) New Dimension dies to be superior in bullet guidance during seating. There is a sliding collar that comes down below the bottom of the die, which centers the bullet to the die and the case all the way up until seated. I have used them with great success in 223, 308, 338 Win Mag, 6.5x284, and just bought a set for the 260 I'm building. Absoluetly no complaints, and plenty of praise .

The link below shows the concept, and the seater is available seperately also.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Dies & Die Accessories :: Rifle Reloading Dies :: 223 Rem

Good luck,

Terry

With spitzer style bullets, I usually just hold it in place while raising the case up into the die. After it goes up in it to the point it is beyond your fingers, it will rest against the inside of the die, and will center itself as the die narrows. Continue to slowly raise the ram , and you will feel the bullet seat.

If you cram it upwards to quickly there is a chance you will catch the edge of the bullet on the rim and crinkle the neck. This risk is increased more the smaller the case cartridge.

Give this a try, and you will see. When spray lubing with a proper lube, it is ok to get a little inside the case mouth. This will aid in the spitzer bullet seating.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

chamfering tool

and this
    |
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    With spitzer style bullets, I usually just hold it in place while raising the case up into the die. After it goes up in it to the point it is beyond your fingers, it will rest against the inside of the die, and will center itself as the die narrows. Continue to slowly raise the ram , and you will feel the bullet seat..

I had the same problem with the free .223 and .308 bullets I got from Hornady from buying their dies. There are a few things you can do:
    Buy a universal expanding die, but be careful so you don't expand too much.
    Chamfer the inside of the case.
    Hold the bullet in place with your finger until it comes in contact to the die when you seat the bullet.

Links