Talk to me about lead

This is a discussion on Talk to me about lead within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I can get as much lead weights .... The kind that comes off car wheels as I want. Is that stuff worth making into bullets? ...

Thread: Talk to me about lead

Talk to me about lead

I can get as much lead weights .... The kind that comes off car wheels as I want. Is that stuff worth making into bullets? What would I spend to get set up to make the bullets? Does anyone do this?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Wheel weights make excellent bullets...as long as they are lead and not zinc.
    I've been casting bullets for 30 years. You can spend as much as you want or as little as you want.

I have a cople of dozen molds, mostly 4 and 6 cavity molds.

You'll need a lead pot to melt in, I like to use the Lee bottom pour pots. I have a 10 pounder and a 20 pounder. You can start with a 10.

You'll also need a lubrisizer. These size and lube the cast bullets. This is a necessity.

Of course, you'll need the molds and there are several sources. I've got some great deals over the years on Ebay.

Its not hard but there is a bit of a learning curve. Once you figure it out, you can make bullets cheaply.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That stuff makes great bullets....it is all I shoot. Like a lot of things, you can spend as much as you want or it can be done on the cheap.

I spent about $150 to get started casting. My initial purchase was for 2 six cavity molds, a Lee bottom pour pot, a cast iron dutch oven for my turkey fryer, a thermometer and some muffin tins for ingot molds.

It is a great way to save a ton of money if you like to shoot a lot as we do.

To give you an idea of what casting bullets and then reloading those bullets costs, I cast and reload .38 spec, .45acp, .45lc and .44mag for less than $52.00 per 1000 using my brass. Of course, there is the time involved to cast and reload, but it just doesn't take that long to do those things. As an example, I cast 2000 .38spec 125gr swc's this past Saturday afternoon in about 3hrs with no trouble at all.

Also, I tumble lube most of my bullets rather than use a lubrisizer, and have had great results with this and shooting the bullets the size they are cast. If I were you, I would try this before investing in a lubrisizer, it can be nice to have but it is not a necessity.

This is a link to a great website to learn about casting.......http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
    Last edited by jwarren; April 7th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

thanks for the info. i think im going to try this. what kind of wear on a gun barrel is straight lead going to have?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Senior Moderator
    what kind of wear on a gun barrel is straight lead going to have?
    Much less than copper jacketed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links