223 min COAL

This is a discussion on 223 min COAL within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; i just required a snazzy high speed gracie trimmer. It seems to be a little inconstant on case oal variation from 1.720-1.750 after trimming. I'm ...

Thread: 223 min COAL

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

223 min COAL

i just required a snazzy high speed gracie trimmer. It seems to be a little inconstant on case oal variation from 1.720-1.750 after trimming. I'm using this particular ammo for AR's plinking 50-100 yards out of an SBR nothing particular targeting accuracy. I'm worried about the cases that are 1.720 (i'm not shooting compressed loads) however, is this variation in case length going to really do anything if i'm just loading for plinking rounds?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    just to clarify I'm looking for Case OAL not for Cartridge OAL.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My antique Speer manual lists the .223 case length as 1.760". Typical "trim to" lengths are less, maybe .010" max. Being shorter isn't a safety concern, although it reduces the amount of neck gripping the bullet and you could possibly experience some "jump" with shorter bullets (Less than 55 grainers).

If accuracy and consistancy isn't a concern, the cases should be okay. Rifle rounds aren't nearly as subject to "compression" as smaller capacity handgun cases. A bigger concern is the inconsistant trimming. A quality trimmer should produce cases that vary less than .001". I'd recheck your trimmer setup. Something is not tight.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links