Shot first .45 Reloads, bit of a problem

This is a discussion on Shot first .45 Reloads, bit of a problem within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I made one box of 45 acp and took it to the range. A few times my 1911 wouldn't fully go into battery. It was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot first .45 Reloads, bit of a problem

Shot first .45 Reloads, bit of a problem

I made one box of 45 acp and took it to the range. A few times my 1911 wouldn't fully go into battery. It was about 1/4 inch off. I could press the back of the slide and it would feed and fire.

My reloads are creating some sort of feed issue. Any ideas as to what could help? Put a heavier crimp, or buy a factory crimp die? Seat the bullet deeper?

I was using 230gr FMJ and the OAL is 1.268-1.270.
    Last edited by zeppelin03; April 15th, 2011 at 08:06 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Unless you are using max loads you might want to increase your powder charge .1gr at a time until you get reliable feeding, also check that your ammo drops fully into the chamber with the barrel removed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I got about 1 gr until I hit max.

OAL of 1.68-1.70? There's your trouble

Quote Originally Posted by JTCZ View Post
    I have a feeling that's it. Just want to keep pressures low and work up. Didn't want to go too hot for first loads. Shorten it up and raise gr a bit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCZ View Post
    Just checked my Lee Reloading manual and they list a max OAL of 1.275. I would keep the load the same and just seat the bullets deeper then work from there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sorry. Posted wrong number. OAL is 1.268-1.27

Is it happening on a fresh mag when you rack the slide, or only after firing? If it happens at both times I would start with troubleshooting cartridge dimensions. (oal, mouth/crimp, etc). If it's only after firing, I would work the load up a bit hotter and see if it give the slide a little more oomph.

Maybe some feed ramp polishing could help slick things up?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My 230 LRNs have a COL of 1.235 and feed fine (Glock 30). I don't think a shorter COL is an issue in gards ro feeding RNs. I had some going into battery issues with my Storm Lake barrel I bought for shooting lead, but switched back to the Glock barrel with no further feeding problems (or leading for those who are about to hit the "shooting-lead-in-Glocks" panic button). SWCs are another story--the G30 just didn't like them.

Make sure your loads have enough "kick" to cycle the slide, check that the reloaded rounds drop completelyand freely into the barrel chamber, and try it again. You might try a slightly lighter recoil spring if you're shooting reduced loads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First, the basic question (same response as the msgt). Did you chamber check the reloads to make sure they drop freely (plunk test) into and out of the chamber with the barrel removed? If they do, your OAL and crimp are okay. If not, time to go back to the drawing board on your reloads-load up dummy rounds and start adjusting until you get a round that fits. You didn't say what bullet and powder charge you are using, more info would have helped, but your load could be an issue. My bet would be on OAL/crimp, though.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Administrator
    Do this test with your 1911. Try it with factory 230 FMJ as well as with your reloads.

Naturally, pay attention to what you are doing and always keep your muzzle pointed in a known safe direction.

With a full magazine inserted in your pistol (only load 7 into an 8 round mag) & your slide locked back - You should be able to ease your slide forward fairly slowly and smoothly and actually see your top round be stripped out of the magazine - bullet nose go up the ramp & into the chamber - rear of the cartridge case pop up into the extractor & especially the 230 FMJ round always should fully chamber.

Basically, you should not be able to prevent FMJ from fully feeding and chambering.

If your FACTORY FMJ is not fully feeding when you do that above test then an existing problem is just being magnified when you are shooting your lighter reloads.

If Factory FMJ is not fully feeding and chambering when you do the above test then your pistol has feed issues and it needs to be tuned no matter if you are shooting factory ammo or your reloads.

The #1 problem is usually an overly tight extractor or the extractor hook is knife-sharp and/or too pronounced and is cutting into your case brass.

The bullet nose cannot physically feed into the barrel chamber unless the case rear can simultaneously fully move up into the extractor.

Your cartridges should be held against the breech face by the extractor FLAT & NOT by the extractor hook.

A 1911 absolutely needs a perfectly tuned extractor in order to to function flawlessly.

Once the extractor is properly tuned the 1911 will go thousands & thousands of rounds without a burp.

sOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO BE USING A TAPER CRIMP DIE FOR THE LAST STEP...IT'S PROBABLY NOT GOING FULLY INTO BATTERY BECAUSE OF THE BULGE OF THE BULLET INSIDE THE CASE NOT BEING CRIMPED TO TOLERANCES OF THE ORIGINAL .45 ROUND. THE TAPER CRIMP DIE WILL GIVE YOU BETTER ACCURACY TOO. GOOD LUCK-HAPPY SHOOTING.

Issue is most likely OAL. I found the same thing when working up my first 45acp loads. I found that 1.228 to 1.230" OAL works great with LRN 230 grain in my XD45. You definitely have to taper crimp, also.

I had the same frustration when I first started reloading 45ACP. I also got the same replies. I removing the barrel and tried every cartridge to see if I could figure it out. In the end I bought a Lee Taper Crimp Die and the problem was solved. I think you are having the same problem. When seating the bullet and applying a crimp it's slightly deforming ( bellying ) the case enough to cause FTB.
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

What you have is the old "Fat Cartridege" problem, and as others have suggested, a good additional step quality "taper crimp" die should cure your reloading ills. In addition, by disassembling your weapon & keeping your barrel at your reloading bench, you can check each & every reloaded round for proper ease of chambering and proper head space. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links