duplicating factory defense ammo (9mm) - Page 2

duplicating factory defense ammo (9mm)

This is a discussion on duplicating factory defense ammo (9mm) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I use a similar technique. I only buy SD ammo that I can get the same bullets for IE Speer GD and REM GS bullets. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: duplicating factory defense ammo (9mm)

I use a similar technique.

I only buy SD ammo that I can get the same bullets for IE Speer GD and REM GS bullets. I then buy a couple boxes of the real deal, take OAL measurements and chronograph 5-10 of them. I then build a load that has the same MV as the factory in my pistol/rifle.

I still carry the factory, but the reloaded SD ammo makes for much cheaper occasional practice and reliability testing in different guns.

After chronographing each of my pistols with the same loads I can get a pretty decent deviation between guns that I can extrapolate ammo MVs across pistols. For instance after checking a few loads I know my PPS is about 6% slower than my PPQ, so I can get a pretty decent “guesstimate” without having to chrony both pistols.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Yes. I've done 'factory duplication loads' for various calibers. With a defense pistol, one desires to have a practice load that gives the same recoil and point of impact as the ultimate load used. Especially if one uses one of the '$30.00 per 20' types of loads. With fixed sighted weapons, having a round that shoots to the same point of impact resolves any number of bothers.

My usual technique is to pull a bullet from the round I want to duplicate and weigh the powder charge. Then check my library of loading manuals (one is never enough it seems) and find a powder that 'fits' that load level.
    This is what I have done. Although others have pointed out that the prosecutors will always claim you purposefully made "killer rounds", I have not ever seen proof this has happened, BUT..... I won't take my chances. I always use proven factory SD ammo. I build reloaded ammo that will give the same impact point as possible, so I can hit what I aim for.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I am getting weary of posting this, but, once more with feeling:

The burn rate ('speed') of powder is dependent primarily on bullet weight (probably sectional density - which in a given caliber is the same as weight) and secondarily the ratio of bullet weight to powder charge weight. NOT barrel length.

Muzzle flash is not caused by unburnt powder igniting out of the barrel; it is caused by interaction of the extremely hot propellent gases and the atmosphere. (I have a reference to a laboratory sight that explains it in detail and I've lost it, again.)

Some gas operated rifles - notably the Garand - cannot use powders slower than a specific level. If the operational pressure is too high when the bullet passes the gas port, the operating rod gets bent by the over-energetic force. There may be one or two other considerations of this nature.

However, the general rule is, heavier bullets require slow(er) powders and lighter bullets require fast(er) powders for maximum efficiency - velocity in this case.

Just for the record, 2400 works well in Super .38 with heavy(er) bullets. The action operates and everything.

Lawsuits: In any self-defense shooting, the 'family' - however tenuous and far away they might be - will see about suing for wrongful death, pain, suffering, frostbite and athlete's foot if they can find a sleezy enough attorney. Sadly, said attorney is not that hard to find. Ammunition choice may or may not come into the verdict. The only sure defense is to be morally and legally correct in what one does. Sadly, that isn't a magic wand; you'll still get sued.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Archie we merge & diverge....
    please explain your statement about bbl length in reference with

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Calibers/Cartridges

otherwise shooting factory ammo save time in court for your defense...and time=money

it saves time as forensics goes easy cause the info for that ammo is established.
    if you shot home made there is no baseline for your ammo
    you have to test and prove what was in your cartrage...its an opening you are giving the DA
    and why do you want to do that. practice with your replication round and carry the factory.
    fire a few rounds when you change the clocks and call the cost an insurance premium
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you use cast bullets sized for your bore and the alloy for the velocity you desire, you can get superior performance over the jacketed bullets. This is possible because the lads coefficient of friction is less than that of jacketed bullets.

With a marginal cartridge like the 9mm any edge is desired. So if you want superior performance learn how to cast your own and make them specific to a task. Jacketed bullets are perfect for a mass solution, the cast bullet can be adjusted for your specific weapon / situation.

Hot reloads and self defense

It is well known by many gun writters, that a lawyer will " eat your lunch " if you use handloads for self defense. So I'd be very careful. The 9mm + P loads are all factory generated on equipment that none of us have. They have many resources from engineering to testing to produce their hot loads. If you want to blow up a $500 poly gun drop in some suped up handloads. I've been at a competition or ten where that happened. Sometimes the result of a progressive loader, sometimes not. Either way, the results were the same. Ambulance arrived! Plus P loads are only safe in guns that are rated for them, and for semi auto pistols, I can't recall any manufacturer saying their firearm was rated for them. Maybe some are, I haven't seen one. However, it is generally known that Ruger steel guns are very robust and Barretta has one model that some say can handle +P. Would you take the word of a stranger about a used car? Folks there is a reason why reloading manuals don't list plus P loads for semi's. My CCW guns have factory ammo in them like the previous writer stated, use what LE uses and your safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links