44 automag reloading

This is a discussion on 44 automag reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I ran into a guy and he told me he has an automag,the cartridge for it was only produced by 3 companies back when it ...

Thread: 44 automag reloading

44 automag reloading

I ran into a guy and he told me he has an automag,the cartridge for it was only produced by 3 companies back when it came out and currently there are no commercial loads I know of so I thought I'd help him out.First the 44 automag is a 30.06 or .308 case cut down to 1.298 and the case mouth reamed to accept a 240 grn lswc .430dia bullet in front of 11.5 grains of unique.I had a buncha spare brass and with my cost in powder primers and bullets figured I could load him 100 rounds for around $13.00.If I figured the cost of 100 rounds of 30.06 brass divided by number of reloads it would probably add a couple more dollars so around 15.00 per hundred.Not bad when even 50 rounds of factory 44 mag are over $30.00 50 rounds.
    It's definitely times like these I am glad I invested in reloading several years ago so that somebody with an older weapon can still put a few rounds down range without thinking how much each trigger pull costs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    New brass is currently available from Starline for $53.95/100. I do remember reading about making brass for the Automag many years ago IIRC they started with 308 brass.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

In My reloading manual you can use either 30.06 or 308,or any brass with a .473 head size,I've been saving brass I don't even have guns for and within about 15 minutes had over 100 cases I could cut down,I don't have 44 auto mag dies and ain't gonna pay 90.00 for a set,so I used a 308 resizing die,a 44 mag powder and bell die and a 44 mag seat and crimp die in my Dillon 550.I made 10 rounds to see how they fit his barrel and shoot.If its all good I can cut down and load the other cases within about 2 hours
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links