Quick video of me running my lee deluxe turret

This is a discussion on Quick video of me running my lee deluxe turret within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Loading .40 S&W with 6 grains of unique, and berrys plated 180 grain bullets I figured if anyone was considering a lee turret they might ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quick video of me running my lee deluxe turret

Loading .40 S&W with 6 grains of unique, and berrys plated 180 grain bullets

I figured if anyone was considering a lee turret they might like to see it in action.

vid added qks

Good of you to post. That could be valuable to those considering that setup.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Awesome. Thanks
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

u need the loadmaster.. it will do 100 every 7 min

Thanks for taking the time to post this vid!

I've been watching alot of these and doing ALOT of reading on the subject.

I'm in the process of getting my list together for building my own "starter kit" with the Classic Turret. I love the versatilty of this press with a couple of extra turrets.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

nice video but I'd hate to see how many primers I forgot to seat with that thing. I'm bad enough with my dillion 650 feeding cases in the tube.

I really appreciate you posting this. I am thinking about getting into reloading and this is the set up i have been considering the most. I like the speed you get with it. not too fast, not too slow. And for the amount I would be reloading I wouldn't need anything faster.

Can you tell me how much you have invested in your set up? And, what you would recommended for a reloading manual?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I bought the deluxe kit, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=622290 . All that is really needed in addition to this kit is a die set and components (a trim depth gauge if you are loading rifle cartridges). The scale is functional, but I also picked up a cheapy digital scale from midway. It is +\- .1 from lee beam scale.

The auto-disk powder measure can be finicky... But after 10-20 throws after it's coated with powder/graphite it is very consistent.

4 Die set came from midway for less than $40 with carbide sizing die, and factory crimp die
    I bought a vibrating tumbler from harbor freight for around $40 http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html
    I got crushed walnut bird litter from the pet store for media about $12 for 25lbs (not sure I'll ever use it all)
    Powder and primers were bought locally to avoid the haz-mat fee

I've been using berrys bullets, which I am very happy with.

I've purchased bullet and brass combos from these guys and been very pleased with prompt shipping and high quality brass. http://www.tjconevera.com/buandbrco.html

I've worked out the cost per round on the 3 caliber I load for but I don't take the cost of the press or other equipment into account, only components

9mm ~$7.50/50
    .40 ~$9.00/50
    .223 = $0.23/round

Hope that helps.

I didn't realize the classic and deluxe model were different but I have no regrets on not getting the classic model. I can certainly see how it's a bit tougher and more sturdy than the deluxe.
    Last edited by Thetoulman; April 23rd, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Can you tell me how much you have invested in your set up? And, what you would recommended for a reloading manual?
    I have been looking at the kit from Kemps's;

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41

It has the "Classic" turret press which is bit more beefier than the regular, (solid steel linkage & cast iron base). Also, you can upgrade to the Pro Auto Disk Powder measure. Much better system from everything I have read.

You will need to add a scale with this kit and I will definitely add an extra turret or 2 for the quick change overs. Also, the Lee Modern Reloading manual covers their products to a T, but I have added the Lyman Reloading Handbook and ordered The ABC's of Reloading from Amazon, Both were HIGHLY recommended to me by numerous experienced reloaders.

I've been doing ALOT of reading and research.

Awesome. Thanks for the info from both of yall. I have a lot of reading to do!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yeah, there is a bit of a difference between the 2 models and I have no doubt the Deluxe model will serve anyone VERY well. I just liked the sturdier linkage. I'm a big boy and have a tendancy to be a bit hard on things I use on a regular basis. I figured that linkage would be just the thing I'd tear up, but that's just me.

Besides, I understand Lee's CS is very good and if there was any problem, (which again, I doubt), they would take good care of the customer.

Sponsor
    OP,
    Great little vid. This will realy help those considering reloading.

TN_Mike,
    I have the Lee Classic 3 hole press set up. I would highly recommend the Pro Auto Disk powder charger. It's uber simple to change the die plate and shell holder for loading multiple calibers. You just need to buy a powder tube extension with each die/turret set. Also order a few extra nylon indexing bushings. It is the one part that actually wears out. I picked up a set from an LGS that came with the Lee powder scale, primer pocket/case mouth reamer and standard powder charger(definitely needs the Pro upgrade if you will be changing turrets at all) and one die set. I don't remember the Price but it was quite reasonable. The dies, turrets and tube extensions are available Midway for a decent $.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

One other note.

Lee doesn't really explain this, but in order to use the auto disk measure and not have interference with the other dies and the safety prime you will need the "riser" for the powder-through die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=114080

I also recommend the swivel adapter for the auto-disk, it just makes things simpler.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=547368

Sponsor
    Yeah, Riser... That's what I was referring to when I said powder tube extension. It's been a while since I bought them and couldn't remember the exact nomenclature. I'm pretty sure that the swivel adapter was also included in the "Pro" upgrade for the Auto Disk powder measure. But again, it's been a while...

Still you couldn't do much better for the money than the Lee turret press in any of it's available configurations.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thanks! Also good info to know. My wife is on board with this. She wants to get into reloading as well. We'd be able to shoot a lot more so she is all for it.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links