Is unique bulkier?

This is a discussion on Is unique bulkier? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm switching from using 231 to unique for 9mm and 124gr berrys round nose bullets.Three different books say 6.0 grains but it doesn't look right.It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is unique bulkier?

Is unique bulkier?

I'm switching from using 231 to unique for 9mm and 124gr berrys round nose bullets.Three different books say 6.0 grains but it doesn't look right.It fills the case almost completely.It looks like if I try to seat a bullet it will compress the powder to some extent.I wanted to ask more experienced loads for their opinion.Thanks. sj
    When I used 231 it only called for 4.5 grains and it looked ok.

2. Remove Ads

A powder charge using a flake powder will take up more space than a powder charge using ball powder, assuming both charges weigh the same.

I love using Unique in the 9mm and it gives excellent velocity performance without resorting to compressed powder charges. I've used 6.0 grains of Unique with a 115 grain bullet in a 9mm for a muzzle velocity of 1180 fps. For a 124 grain bullet, 6.0 grains of Unique seems very much like a max load to me. The 9mm cartridge operates at a fairly high pressure but too much of a good thing is still too much. Unique is too fast burning for use with compressed charges in my view. If you are thinking that a 124 grain bullet will compress the powder charge even slightly, and are concerned then you are properly cautious.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

After doing more reading I see that 6 grains would be a max load which I don't want.I will satrt out at 5 grains.Thanks. sj

VIP Member
    Well,

I learned something new today, for when my brother and I begin our reloading exploits.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Always good to double and triple check when working up loads with a new powder. Back down that Unique load, going to 5 like you indicated would be a good (safe) change...
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

You should never, ever and I will repeat ever start at a max load. Rule of thumb forever has at the minimuim reduce all max loads at least 10% and then work up from there watching for signs of excessive pressure. The most evident sign of pressure is when you see primers start to flatten.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I load 5.0 grains of unique behind a 125 grn lrn bullet and it makes a great plinking load,my data for a 125 grain jacketed says never exceed 4.9 grains,so 6 sounds really high
    Back during the powder and primer shortage I bought a bunch of Alliant american select powder,it takes less powder when compared to unique and the more bang I get fer a buck is a good thing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Wow! Six grains does seem hot. Keep in mind Berry's bullets are plated, and as such it is recommended that you use the same data as for lead bullets; not jacketed. Also, Berry's in an email to me on on load data stated not to exceed 1200 fps, 'cause plating can separate @ that speed. I think I use 5.1 Unique with 124 gr. jacketed or plated with excellent results.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I like powder that fills the case more than W231. I've been using HS6 in my 9mmP reloads for three years now (several thousand rounds - actually close to 7,000 rounds). It fills the case nicely so it shoots very consistantly with no differential ignition effects from the powder flopping around in the case. I picked HS6 over Unique because it meters much more accurately in my Dillon measure on the 550B and burns a bunch cleaner. I use Unique in my .45LC all the time. I don't think there is a better powder for the .45LC even at Ruger Only pressures. But I like HS6 much better in the 9mm.

I can get higher muzzle velocity with VihtaVuori N350 (it matches the MV of COR-BON +P ammo which makes the IDPA power floor out of my Glock 26) but it's too expensive ($35.00/lv for N350 vs $23.00/lb for HS6) to use for high volume shooting.

HS6 @ 6.8 to 6.9g pushing the 115g Berrys plated round nose will give just over 1,000 rounds per pound. I get loads that cycle nicely with Berry's 115g plated round nose bullets from 5.6 to 6.9g (factory springs), 1.162" COL, any non magnum small pistol primer. Always start low and work up.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Wow! Six grains does seem hot. Keep in mind Berry's bullets are plated, and as such it is recommended that you use the same data as for lead bullets; not jacketed. Also, Berry's in an email to me on on load data stated not to exceed 1200 fps, 'cause plating can separate @ that speed. I think I use 5.1 Unique with 124 gr. jacketed or plated with excellent results.
    Freedomofchoice I have some Berrys 9mm 124 grain HP and I am trying to figure out how to figure a seating depth so that I can calculate the OAL to use.
    Have any suggestions?

Thanks

Is unique bulkier?

6gr of Unique sounds like too much for 124gr bullet. Better start low and work up. I have some 115gr xtp loaded with 4.5gr with 1.115 OAL. Should be light, but always good to start too low and work up.

Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    Freedomofchoice I have some Berrys 9mm 124 grain HP and I am trying to figure out how to figure a seating depth so that I can calculate the OAL to use.
    Have any suggestions?

Thanks

I generally use the same seating depth as those listed for conical nose when there is no data for hollow points. The configuration is almost the same. Go to hodgdon load data and use the data for lead conical. You should be ok.

6gr of Unique does sound like a lot, however the Alliant load guide list 5.8 as max with a 124gr gold dot. Their pervious guide list the max at 6.2gr with a 124gr FMJFN.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I'm switching from using 231 to unique for 9mm and 124gr berrys round nose bullets.Three different books say 6.0 grains but it doesn't look right.It fills the case almost completely.It looks like if I try to seat a bullet it will compress the powder to some extent.I wanted to ask more experienced loads for their opinion.Thanks. sj
    When I used 231 it only called for 4.5 grains and it looked ok.
    I know this doesn't answer your question but if you are looking for powder that meters nicely, try "Power Pistol"
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I have been reloading for some time and have used unique for 45 colt rounds with great success. I have recently started loading for 9mm and started with unique powder. I am loading 124gr Montana HP bullets and my starting load was 4.5gr. Seems to work very well, mild shooting and groups nice but low. Of course that could be me but I am going to up the load a bit as I have read in many places that right around 5 grains of unique seems to be the magic spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links