Bought the Corbin setup to change 22 brass into 223 bullets - Page 2

Bought the Corbin setup to change 22 brass into 223 bullets

This is a discussion on Bought the Corbin setup to change 22 brass into 223 bullets within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I would love to have jacketed wadcutters for practice and IDPA/USPSA matches, but I don't shoot nearly enough to justify the setup cost. As it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bought the Corbin setup to change 22 brass into 223 bullets

I would love to have jacketed wadcutters for practice and IDPA/USPSA matches, but I don't shoot nearly enough to justify the setup cost. As it is, the 1k reloads that I do each winter usually last me all year and then some.

Now if someone here makes .40 rounds this way (180 gr.) and is interested in some side money, let me know.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Swaging doesn't have to cost a lot of money. I make .40 and 10mm swaged bullets using an RCBS Rochchucker press and swaging dies from CH4D. When I got the dies, it was $130 for the set of two. One seats the core into the jacket and the other forms the bullet. Bullets I make are a JHP. Even though I've got the proper FFL license to make and sell bullets, I haven't really put much effort into making them for sale. Also swaging bullet by hand like that sure isn't going to be cheap. I say spend the $130 on a set of dies and try it out. If not, you can always sell them for your your money back.

I'm getting a custom punch made up to form a SWC-HP profile, so I can make some 10mm semi-jacketed bullets with a SWC profile and hollowpoint the nose of it for rapid expansion. Should be pretty neat.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Dies, new press (I have a Lee Load Master - don't think that will work), lead....A bit to expensive for a "maybe".
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The Lee single stage press (think it's called the Challenger) will handle swaging just fine. It's the same press Lee sells as the 50 BMG single stage press.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The Lee single stage press (think it's called the Challenger) will handle swaging just fine. It's the same press Lee sells as the 50 BMG single stage press.
    I checked,it's the LEE Classic press for $99.99 without any dies ,my RCBS on sale was 129.99,looks like if I add to my presses I'll try out the Lee classic.
    There is another company that makes the 224 dies,but his dies will only fit his presses and won't work in a regular reloading press AFAIK
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Huh...

Learned something.

Thank you.
    Ditto that!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

And as fate would have it, I got hit in the foot by a chunk of home made bullet out of a brass casing at my last IDPA match. Came from the next bay over.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I will try to get pics up in the next day or two,
    So whatever happened with the photos? This thread is pretty old but I am interested in your long term thoughts on the .22LR swaging process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Huh...

Learned something.

Thank you.
    Ya you learn something new everyday. That would be fun to do.But the initial investment sounds way to much for me.

I shoot a lot of .22LR between me and my 3 granddaughters. Last range outing we went through about 800rds. And thats without dumping it through an AR! The girls like to gather up the brass at the range. Serena (9) likes to gather up her brass after shooting and sell it for scrap to make some spending money. She took $68 of her own money she got from cleaning up the range with her as spending money on our Florida vacation last week. So, I have a serious supply of .22 brass casings and little female range vacuums to gather more.

My dad gave me a 20mm ammo can full of shotgun shells that old and probably not safe. I have about 150# of shotgun shells that are badly water damaged to the point I am real iffy about putting them into a winmaster. I figure I can cut the tops open and salvage the lead. That gives me a hell of a lot of lead for the .223 bullets.

I am picking up 1k rounds of .223 this week from a local guy. I have about 250rds of empty brass. So I will have about 1250 rds to reload at some point. More if my range vacuums give me a hand

So, I have the .22 brass. I have some lead. All I need is powder and primers as far as supplies go.

-

Now for the investment.

Yes its expensive. But given the lack of .223 on the shelves around here and the high pricing online, I think the initial investment can be recovered reasonably quickly. I mean the ONLY .223 I have seen in over a month on shelves here is the Hornaday Zombie boxes at $19.99 per box or about $1 a round. What I am buying from a guy locally is 1k rounds for $480 so that is $0.48pr. Most online places are in the $0.60 range for .223. When you can find it.

I will also be buying dies and a good press (probably a RCBS) in addition to the .22LR reforming die. I will be loading the 223 as well as my 30-06 and .38 special rounds too. And if someone wants to pay me to reload 9mm, all I need is the dies at that point. I will eventually get a Sig 226 so I will need the 9mm for that as well sooner or later.

-

So, short term, I will be in the hole very badly. But I don't see this ammo BS clearing up any sooner than at least 2 years so I have plenty of time to reload while everyone buys up ammo. I can sit and reload and save money once I have passed the recoup point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links