Federal .45 ACP Cases - Small Primers

This is a discussion on Federal .45 ACP Cases - Small Primers within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Do any of y'all have a conversion for using small primers in a .45 ACP case? I was shooting with a friend and picked up ...

VIP Member

Do any of y'all have a conversion for using small primers in a .45 ACP case? I was shooting with a friend and picked up his cases - all 1x fired factory ammo. They are Federal, but they use the small primers. My loading data is for Remington large pistol primers.

I have tried calling Federal, but have not gotten any response at this point. I appreciate any input y'all can provide.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I hate that they came up with SP for the 45!!! Regardless, you could say the conversion is 1 to 1. Loads for SP are the same as loads for LP. If it worries you, back off your load 0.2-0.4 then work back up. If you are already loading at max, definitely back off to a low to midrange load, just like you would with any component change, and then work up in increments making sure you aren't running into any pressure problems.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    I hate that they came up with SP for the 45!!! .
    Me too. I sure would not go out of my way to find them, but a couple hundred free cases is just too much to pass up. I appreciate the input.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I called CCI and got info from them that they are not adjusting the load data when they use the small primer. In conversing with them, it looks like the cheaper .45 ACP ammo from a variety of manufacturers is converting to the small pistol primer while the more expensive stuff is not. This will mean that we can expect to see a mix of brass when buying rounds and if you want all of one or the other, you need to inspect the rounds before purchasing them (assuming that is how you get your brass for reloading). If you pick up range brass, you will have to sort it at the priming stage.

This is a PITA, but it is the way things are going as a cost saving measure at the manufacturer's end. The CCI folks did mention that the small primer will produce slightly lower pressures than the large primer - makes sense - and not to mix the rounds when you are shooting targets if you want the most consistent results. If you are plinking or don't care about consistency, it would not be a big deal.

I am going to load up some rounds with my normal loading data and small primers. I will then chrono those against the same loads with large primers and post the data here. This may take some time given the weather we are having lately and more rain is projected all week and weekend currently. Should be interesting.

Personally I always pitch them. Way too much of a hassle trying to keep them seperated from the rest of my 45 brass. I would think that you could load them same as large primer without any conversion. Just start as you would any load and work up with them watching for pressure signs till you get what you want.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    OK, guys and gals. Here is the scoop. I took 3 weapons to the range and shot 10 rounds of the exact same load with the only exception being the size of the primer. These are not hot loads, but fall in the middle of the range in my manual for 230 grain bullets. I was surprised by the info as follows:

1. In 2 of the 3 weapons, the small primer produced faster average speeds.
    2. In all 3 weapons, the small primer had a smaller spread. What I am calling the spread is the slowest shot's speed subtracted from that for the fastest shot.

I don't plan to make any changes to my loading data for small primers as the difference is not material.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Interesting data. I've been collecting SP cases for a while and will be loading them soon. Don't expect to change the mid-range loadings I use. For my purposes, as long as it goes bang, I'm happy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

LP vs SP 45 ACP Brass

As I can assume you're an experienced reloader. I tell my students (NRA Reloading Instructor) to either load the SP or the LP brass! Either that or if reloading both then when reloading LP pocket brass please wear ear plugs as we all make mistakes! When we make it reloading the SP brass and we mix a LP brass we only get powder spill, however when we reloading LP brass and we mix in SP brass with it in the process we get a BANG! The compression stroke will normally set off the primer and the primer tube will got through the ceiling tile! Just words of concern.

As a note,If you own a Dillion they'll replace the tube, others I'm not sure of!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    gotta cull for A-Merc and for small primers. A-Merc gets what it is-junked; small primers go in a jug.
    i sell brass once or twice a year and about 500 find their way to a box.
    or i shot them in the field where they hopefully will say lost.
    no formula changes are necessary for plinking or as i use em most to replicate SD rounds.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    As I can assume you're an experienced reloader. I tell my students (NRA Reloading Instructor) to either load the SP or the LP brass! Either that or if reloading both then when reloading LP pocket brass please wear ear plugs as we all make mistakes! When we make it reloading the SP brass and we mix a LP brass we only get powder spill, however when we reloading LP brass and we mix in SP brass with it in the process we get a BANG! The compression stroke will normally set off the primer and the primer tube will got through the ceiling tile! Just words of concern.

As a note,If you own a Dillion they'll replace the tube, others I'm not sure of!
    Yes, I agree. You must segregate the cases by primer size. I have a hand primer, so I can feel when a large primer is trying to go into a small hole. I have not had a blow-up from this, but have had one with seating a .223 primer. The hand primers segregate the primer being seated from the tray with the other primers. As long as you point the shell away from yourself, it is annoying, but not a major issue. I can only imagine a whole tube of primers waiting for reload going off - Yikes!!

I segregate my shells at the resize/deprime stage. When I take them off the press, I look at the hole and put them in a large primer bucket or small primer bucket. Also, I normally only take 1 type of shell to the range and they are stored separately in reloading boxes in my ammo cabinet.

ETA: In rereading my post with the chrono results, I noted that I could have been more clear. The test was 60 rounds, 30 of small primer and 30 of large primer. Each gun shot 10 rounds of each primer. Also, the barrel lengths are:
    4.6" for the G21
    5" for the 1911
    3" for the Taurus.

One more thing I gotta watch for,sorting 9mm,make sure theres no 380 snuck in or 9x17 makarov,sorting 40 make sure no 357 sig or 10mm snuck in,now 45 make sure the primer hole size is the same.this could get nasty
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One more thing I gotta watch for,sorting 9mm,make sure theres no 380 snuck in or 9x17 makarov,sorting 40 make sure no 357 sig or 10mm snuck in,now 45 make sure the primer hole size is the same.this could get nasty
    Yup - .380s are a PITA. I have not yet stuck a primer in one, but I have come close. I sort my 9mm brass at the pre-clean stage and at the resize/deprime stage. Kinda wish they would color code cases that are of similar sizes to make ID easier.

Links