First Lead Reloads Couple Questions.

This is a discussion on First Lead Reloads Couple Questions. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I made about twenty bullets yesterday using 200 gr Semi-Wadcutter from Missouri Bullet Company. One thing i noticed is that some of the wax got ...

Thread: First Lead Reloads Couple Questions.

I made about twenty bullets yesterday using 200 gr Semi-Wadcutter from Missouri Bullet Company.

One thing i noticed is that some of the wax got pushed to the outside of the case. Also, a few had a thin sliver of lead get pushed out after seating the bullet.

Is this normal to have happen or should I flare the case mouth a little more to avoid this?

Also should the ring of lube on the bullet be set inside the casing or exposed on the outside? Currently mine are seated inside the bullet.

I will try to add a picture or two to clarify.

By the way, I seated a couple too low and don't have any pullers. Anything I can do to deactivate them?

VIP Member
    As a general rule lead bullets are sized .001 larger than jacketed bullets and the case mouth needs to be flared slightly more. I normally seat cast bullets so all of the lube is inside the case. As far as the ones seated too deep unless you are loading to max pressures or they are seated more than a few thousands deep they will be safe to fire since pressures are usually lower in cast bullet loads.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I just adjusted the flare. The was no metal shavings, but a small amount of wax I had to wipe off. Is this acceptable or take it a little farther?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I just adjusted the flare. The was no metal shavings, but a small amount of wax I had to wipe off. Is this acceptable or take it a little farther?
    Perfectly acceptable, depending on the lube used sometimes it overfills the groves and some will ooze out as the bullet is seated.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I get a bit of lube "smear" also, but if it bothers you simply wipe it off. The SWCs should be seated deep enough that only the slightest bit of the bullet shoulder shows. You shouldn't see the lube groove.

I tried 200 SWCs in my G30, but they never fed reliably enough so I changed to 230 LRNs with no further issues.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I hope they feed well. I'm using them in a 1911. Got 500 so will have to deal with it either way.

VIP Member
    Just do a drop test to make sure they fit properly, with the barrel removed drop the rounds into the chamber, they should slide in with no resistance. You do not need to do all the rounds just a random sample to insure there are no problems.

Only short nose SWCs will feed in Glocks (but they won't feed in XDs). The SWCs on the market today are too long to feed. I've got a short nose SWC mold that works well in Glocks.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

All normal. Do not flare case to stop this, it will shorten case life.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

normal... no big deal

Went with enough flare to stop metal from being stripped, but not doing enough to stop wax.

Glock factory barrels state that lead bullets should not be fired in them,I personally shot lead thru a second generation G17 for several years with no problems just cleaned it well after each session and usually never shot more than 100 rounds at a time.One thing I noticed was if I flared the case too much the case didn't go in the crimp die very easy and after seating and crimping it seemed like it didn't take all the flare out below the case mouth which caused the bullets to stick when testing them in a barrel chamber,I made sure there was just enough flare so it didn't shave any lead and seat and crimp to OAL and it solved the problem,I haven't had any problems in years.I started out using LEE Dies,but have switched over to RCBS dies in the last couple years,especially for 223,the Lee dies wouldn't resize the cases for reliable feeding,the RCBS dies resized the cases and no longer had any feeding issues in any of my AR15's or buddys M16
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds like you should be good to go. One more thought though, if you will continue to reload using lead, clean your dies on a regular basis to remove lube build-up. You should clean if loading jacketed too, just not so often.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Just do a drop test to make sure they fit properly, with the barrel removed drop the rounds into the chamber, they should slide in with no resistance. You do not need to do all the rounds just a random sample to insure there are no problems.
    Good pointer. I check all my 1911 ammo this way. It should drop to the case mouth under its own weight and the base should be flush ith the end of the barrel hood or just a few thou shy.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I find the shoulders on some .40cal SWC cast bullets prevent the round from chambering in match grade chambers. Still have some shoulder showing even though I am at min OAL.

Sponsored Links