Anyone had *this* problem before?
Last night I started in on loading the 600 rounds of .45ACP the g/f and I need for a match this coming weekend. I am using a Dillon RL-550B that has given me almost 15k rounds so far without any serious issues.
As I neared the end of the third group of a hundred, I ran the handle and as I went to lower the shell plate back down, it wouldn't budge. I looked around the four stations and quickly determined that the powder station had locked up hard.
I ended up having to disassemble the shell plate and remove the powder system so I could pull the powder funnel, complete with stuck on casing, up out of the machine. No amount of pulling on the stuck shell would get it off. I decided against running a dowel down inside and pounding with a hammer, since there was a live primer in the casing at this point; also, getting a firm enough grip on the funnel, say in a vise, might have damaged the part.
For my last trick, I took a small hacksaw and cut off the bottom of the case below the funnel, thinking then that I could get a pair of metal snips on the remaining brass and cut it off, but then I decided to just give the heck up and send it back to Dillon.
Anyway, picture attached, at the post-hacksaw stage. The headstamp was "A-MERC", it was indeed a .45ACP cartridge case, and the overall length of the casing seemed entirely consistent with everything else. I might be mistaken, but the case wall did seem a bit on the thick side, but I didn't actually grab the micrometer and compare (as I was too busy plumbing the depths of my primitive Anglo-Saxon vocabulary at the time). I have no clue how or why this happened.
Dillon will take care of it for me, but in order to finish loading by the match this weekend I ended up eating the cost of a new powder funnel and 2-day shipping to get it to me in time. *sigh*