.308 168 loading advice

This is a discussion on .308 168 loading advice within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Started loading .308. 168 SMK 41.0 IMR 4895 COAL 2.810 Gun Springfield GI M1A (nothing Snazy stock barrel) First question: Any body actually chronoed this ...

Thread: .308 168 loading advice

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

.308 168 loading advice

Started loading .308.

168 SMK
    41.0 IMR 4895
    COAL 2.810
    Gun Springfield GI M1A (nothing Snazy stock barrel)

First question:
    Any body actually chronoed this load? I know its a very popular load just seeing what the actual FPS is turning out to be.

Second quesion:
    Max COAL for an M1A mag I believe is 2.810 however, little research online from guys on other forums are saying seat them to 2.820. So whats the actual MAX COAL for the M1A mag to effective feed correctly? I guess I could measure it, but I'm lazy and though I would ask.

Here are todays results at this distance and the group size I'm not real happy; however, I did comsume 4-5 cups of coffee and did not have a soft rest. This could also be caused by the dummy behind the trigger.

Range 50 yards 25 rounds

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That is a good load. I use it on one of my Rem 700's. That load is a bit sedate but very accurate. In my gun it chronos at an average of 2610 FPS. Its accurate enough that I have put 10 shots in less than a 5/8" group at 100 yards.

If wont chrono as high in an M1A though. A freind of mine shooting the same load in a tricked out M1A only gets around 2420 FPS. It functions well,so when target shooting he stays with it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Looks decent to me for a military grade rifle. You put 10 shots into the one ragged hole that's under an inch in diameter.

Next time out, I'd shoot more groups of fewer shots to get a better idea of what the gun and your load can do. You'll be better able to keep track of flyers or other pilot errors that way, too.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Even with 22 years instructing re-loading, i always go to the books for verification.

-------------------------
    when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Red face

Hotguns/gasmitty, thanks for comments and the help as usually you guys give some good help and comments that will assist in the future.

Would love to have OLDVET to chime in this for his opinion.

After checking the Sierra manual, Lyman manual, the on line reloading center for imr powders, a couple reloading forums, i still had a question, so I'm sorry I needed clarification on something, I'm really really really sorry mr clay.

As per how I approaching my reloading bench well I approach it nightly, loading and shooting around 2000 rounds per month for about the last 7 years.
    My first month I had one squib load and have not had one since.

Up until recently I only loaded 9,40,45,and 223.
    It wasn't until recently I decided to start loading 308.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Two issues I would bring up. First, your brass. Each case should be of the same manufacturer and sized, trimmed, etc in the exact same manner so that each loaded cartridge are virtual clones of each other.

I would base OAL on what the manual states, not the type of rifle you're shooting.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Two issues I would bring up. First, your brass. Each case should be of the same manufacturer and sized, trimmed, etc in the exact same manner so that each loaded cartridge are virtual clones of each other.

I would base OAL on what the manual states, not the type of rifle you're shooting.
    All brass was LC 89 match brass trimmed to 2.10

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    No, match the OAL to your rifle. The OAL in the manual is a guide. Example is a .223 Remington. If loading for an AR15 feeding from a magazine, you'd want to load no longer than 2.260" OAL. If you're loading that .223 Remington into a bolt rifle, you might find 2.300" OAL is the sweet spot. Your weapon will be the final answer, not the manual.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links