.357 Mag primers

This is a discussion on .357 Mag primers within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Im loading up some .357 mag with Titegroup and 125g XTPs. The Lee manual says to use "small pistol primers". Should I use magnum primers ...

Thread: .357 Mag primers

.357 Mag primers

Im loading up some .357 mag with Titegroup and 125g XTPs. The Lee manual says to use "small pistol primers". Should I use magnum primers instead of standard primers? Thanks
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

If your manual does not call for Magnum primers I would not use them. From what I have read Titegroup does not require magnum primers, although with its excessively fast burn rate, there are other powders better suited to ,357 reloading.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I just returned from the gun store. On the jug of Tightgroup it says to use magnum primers. But the Lee manual says use small pistol primers. So I guess the I should follow the powder mfg recommendation?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

That would be whose advice I would follow.

Frankly it shouldn't make much difference either way with TG. However, if you go to the slow powders (e.g., 296) for hot loads, SP magnum primers need to be used to help ensure a complete burn. My 2 cents from loading the 357 for 30 yrs-still probably isn't any better then anybody else's...
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

The voice of experience is always welcome by the prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I just returned from the gun store. On the jug of Tightgroup it says to use magnum primers. But the Lee manual says use small pistol primers. So I guess the I should follow the powder mfg recommendation?
    I would follow the Lee manual in this case and not the powder manufacturer. The people who worked up the loads for Lee did so using the specified components listed in their manual. They watch for signs of pressure when working up these loads. If you change any one of these components the load chart that Lee developed will not be accurate.

If you change primer types you should start with the minimum charge listed in the manual and work your way up watching for pressure signs.

Michael

I have used magnum primers in place of regular primers,when doing so lik mir1m said start on the low end of the charge,I've never loaded a charge yet that has even come close to some factory I've shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If you change primer types you should start with the minimum charge listed in the manual and work your way up watching for pressure signs.
    This is good advice. ^^^^^^^
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Tightgroup is almost as fast as Bullseye, I'm surprised magnum primers are suggested by the manufacturer.
    Only the slower powders require magnum primers.
    Use what the reloading manual says.
    And go to a slower powder for .357, unless you are intentionally working up a light target load that uses the smallest amount of powder for economy. The .357 is happier with slower burning powders. I wouldn't use anything faster than Unique.

Ball powders like H110/296 Need SPM primers as it's going to be more higher preasure JMO ; )
    H/DPS I only use 2 kind of powders h110 & Unique
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have used magnum primers in place of regular primers,when doing so lik mir1m said start on the low end of the charge,I've never loaded a charge yet that has even come close to some factory I've shot
    +1 during the crisis last year when primers where scarce I loaded around 5000 rounds of 9mm using win. Small pistol mag primers 0 issues ran then in a glock 19. I was loading with bullseye.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links