Sorting Brass

Sorting Brass

This is a discussion on Sorting Brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a buncha brass thats been sitting in my garage for a few years so today I decided to start sorting it into different ...

Thread: Sorting Brass

Sorting Brass

I have a buncha brass thats been sitting in my garage for a few years so today I decided to start sorting it into different size groups,I have a set of brass sorting pans for 45,40,9mm,keep in mind the 9mm includes 380,38 super,I sorted brass for over 5 hours,and hardly made a dent,I'm gonna do at least 4 hours a day until it is all sorted,It could take a couple three weeks,in the mean time I gotta cast bullets and load ammo,this is starting to feel like a damn job
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ah, the burden of riches!
    I guess you can't get a Tom Sawyer thing going and get your friends and neighbors to pitch in, so just roll up you sleeves and go to it. Have fun....
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Are you going to sort headstamps before you run them through the vibrator? Have fun with your treasure chest. You can box 'em up and send 'em to me, if it's too much work:)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Yeah, but it wil be worth it when you starting cranking inexpensive ammo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The things some people complain about....
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Try the yardwork approach: just do a little every day. Only a few times in a season do I spend a half or whole day in the yard. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you take 10 min here, 20 min there, 5 minutes if that's all you have, etc.

I love projects like this that seem overwhelming, then like MAGIC - progress!!

(no, I am not coming over to help :)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    That's all auto brass, so don't forget you have to trim them too.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I just got in the sorting trays from midway, along with the 380 plate. I sorted a 5 gallon bucket in less than 2 hours. That will give me plenty to reload for a while.

Duk, you must have a lot of brass if you have done hours and hours and haven't put a dent in it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    That's all auto brass, so don't forget you have to trim them too.
    never trimed for hand gun semi...or 357 for that matter.
    and rifle gets 1 trim and thats close to min length and never needs it again.
    though...6.5 x 55 seems to grow. i think its cause its one of the few rounds i load to max.
    its zero is 300 meters and it is fine out to 600. or my brass is thin.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I been reloading for about 7 years now,started with a lee pro 1000 and buying cast bullets back when they were around $22.00 500 locally,I have graduated to in the last 5 years buying a MasterCaster bullet caster and Star Lubrisizer,Dillon 550 reloader with case feeder,besides sorting brass and since they closed the range I was shooting at and currently disassembling it,I have been going over and recovering lead from the bullet trap,in about 3 hours so far I got abou 100 pounds and gonna go back every night until they get some professionals in to finish it,I would make a rough guestimate that they got at least 10 ton in there.I try to get my components as cheap as possible whenever possible, I make lots of friends at gun ranges.When I say I can reload any pistol caliber up to 45acp for 5 to 6 cents a round,I'm telling the truth,and since I got the Corbin dies to turn 22 LR brass into 223 bullets I can reload 223 ammo for right at 7 cents a round,If I gotta buy bullet tips it raises the price to about 15 cents a round.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links