Lee Classic Loader question

This is a discussion on Lee Classic Loader question within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I recently picked up a Lee classic loader for my first venture in to reloading. I got the one for 9mm. Here's my problem, the ...

Thread: Lee Classic Loader question

I recently picked up a Lee classic loader for my first venture in to reloading. I got the one for 9mm. Here's my problem, the black piece that hold the brass when removing the primer and when seating the bullet is quite a bit bigger on the inner diameter than the diameter of the brass. This is causing some play and causing the bullet to seat crooked sometimes, and bulging the brass sometimes. Sometimes I get it just right, but the inconsistency is driving me crazy. Is this normal, or is my kit supposed to have a collar that holds the brass more firmly? Thanks!!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

VIP Member
    I am not sure of your question but once you seat the primer you expand the case mouth then place the round back into the sizing die and place both over the decapping base then load powder and seat the bullet.

Here is a video that may help. YouTube - ‪Lee classic loader‬‏
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The 9mm doesn't come with a flaring tool. I am chamfering the mouth of the brass, but still having an issue.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."

The black piece ( shellholder ) for 9mm should be a # 19 . Shellholders are made to fit a few calibers and have some play in them. If your brass isn't seated flush, all the way back into the holder it can cause the problems you are having. I think a # 6 shellholder will also fit (OLDER and MAYBE A SNUGGER FIT) . When the brass starts into the die it has a little wiggle room to straighten out.

OMO
    bosco

The black depriming die doesn't have a number on it. Am I correct in the fact that 9mm doesn't need flaring?

9mm brass does get flared ( belled ) . 3 dies in the normal set

1, decaps and resizes
    2, puts a slight flare ( bell ) to accept the bullet
    3, closes the flare ( bell ) around the bullet CRIMP.

Too little bell and the bullet has trouble being seated properly (your symptoms)
    Too much and it may not go into the third crimping die and also over works your brass.

OMO
    bosco

Do you have the Hand Bangin kit??
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Yes, it's the hand banging classic loader kit which didn't come with a flaring tool and the directions say not to crimp because they head-space and the end and a crimp would be harmful. I'm starting to regret going the cheap route for my first go around. All of the youtube videos that I can find are all with the larger caliber/casing and don't have this issue presumably due to there being less slop in the depriming die when seating the bullet.

Read Directions, The Sizer is what you use to seat bullet ; )PS All the round simble whith flat bottom & hole in middle is to decap an flare with bullet looking tool
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    wow---my lee hand loader has been in its cardboard box since 1972. i used 3 of them for 8 years (45 colt, 380 and 30-30)

try to upgrade to a 4-hole turret ( thin red base). under $300 including a dillion eliminator scale.
    you will get 150-180 rounds per hour of practice ammo.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Read Directions, The Sizer is what you use to seat bullet ; )PS All the round simble whith flat bottom & hole in middle is to decap an flare with bullet looking tool
    H/D
    I'm using the sizer on top of the decapping chamber like the directions show.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Lee support. Very friendly I might add! They said this is caused by the varying thickness of the brass wall around the mouth. IE the thinner side gets pushed down more due to less resistance. The tech seemed to think there would be minimal effect at the range due to this. What do you guys think? I'll let you know after Wed after I go to the range.

VIP Member
    After looking at several pictures of Lee Loaders online I am wondering if the expander rod may have been left of the kit you bought. The only Lee Classic kit I have used was for 38Spl and it sized the brass so that without some belling it was impossible to start a bullet in it. You might want to recheck with Lee CS if it is missing they may send you one at no charge.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yeah, I called and asked them.They have one for sale for 9mm, but it doesn't come with one. I may buy one and see if it helps. It's still cheaper than a single stage, but I think one of those is in my future.

Sponsored Links