Where do you find your brass?

This is a discussion on Where do you find your brass? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My husband and I have been having poor luck picking up the brass we want at the range, so I am looking for other cheap ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Where do you find your brass?

My husband and I have been having poor luck picking up the brass we want at the range, so I am looking for other cheap alternatives to finding used brass.

Are we just going to have to go to the range on a busy day and scoop up what we can and hope we find the calibers we need?

What are you looking for?

We're primarily looking for .45acp.

There are Internet sources for used brass, but if you're looking for 'free' you might not like the price.

How about bringing friends to the range to shoot with you? Easily 3/4 of the shooters at my range don't reload, so when I'm picking up my .45 brass I'm getting .40, 9mm and .38 as well. I never bring home 100% of the autoloader rounds I shoot, by I make up for it by picking up other stuff. Then I trade with a friend who reloads .40 for the steel matches we shoot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Epi
    I've got enough 40 and 9 brass to build a life-size statue of Rosie O'Donnell.

I've been having crappy luck with 45 range pickups, and I'm hesitant to even shoot my 10mm with how much gets lost at indoor ranges.

If anyone knew of a good national (or local to VA) brass exchange, that would be a huge help.

How about bringing friends to the range to shoot with you?
    We're in NoVA, most of our 'friends' think guns can shoot themselves.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    9 & 40 is usually 2 cents a round for once fired range brass. 45acp 4 or 5 cents. prices float wit the seasons also--go figure.
    1k 45 i could spare.....pm me if interested. 223 about 200 pounds....i've got to weight it all up and present it proper in the for sale section.

bring some grocery plastic bags and during a lull in the action, ask those firing if they"'care to donate some brass?" and remember to check the range buckets{*} that we sweep our mess into--those that don't reload -- and hope you get there b4 some on like you beats you there

{*} as bugman says--check with the range people as to whether they re-sell it to defer costs.
    mine keeps only the 22. probably each range has their own rules. good point--check b4 taking.
    Last edited by claude clay; July 24th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I save it when we do our classes, or when we shoot at the range or deer camp. A few weeks ago, I sorted a 5 gallon bucket of it. About 1/2 was 9mm, 45 was the next most, then 40, then 380. Since I don't reload 40, I gave about 500 pieces to a neighbor that does reload 40.

I think I am good for a while now.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Where in Virginia are you located?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have several hundred pounds of brass,45 is the least in numbers,9mm and 40 out the wazoo,I was shooting last week and when people started sweeping up I thought they were saving their brass,they were about ready to dump it when I yelled hey,I'll take it,in fact next time just let it lay or sweep it in a pile and somebody will be by to grab it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I don't care what you guys do, but its generally bad form to take brass (other than your own) from an indoor range. They typically collect it and sell it to companies like Ultramax to help keeps costs down. If you go the blessing from the staff, by all means, go for it. Otherwise, its stealing in my opinion.
    jwhite75 and Tzadik like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have never been to a gun show, that didn't sell brass. Used or new.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't care what you guys do, but its generally bad form to take brass (other than your own) from an indoor range. They typically collect it and sell it to companies like Ultramax to help keeps costs down. If you go the blessing from the staff, by all means, go for it. Otherwise, its stealing in my opinion.
    I agree with you Sixto, and we generally try to only sweep what's around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Where in Virginia are you located?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    I have never been to a gun show, that didn't sell brass. Used or new.
    We live in NoVA so we will definitely check out the Chantilly show next weekend. It's definitely worth it to pick up some 10mm brass, but I cringe when we pay too much for any other caliber. Maybe I should be the one to browse all of the tables for the best prices.

Thanks for all of your advice! Hopefully our stockpile will grow over time and we will have an idea about how to better maintain it.

I live in the Lower-Hudson of NY State.
    Used to reload– .45 acp cal and 5.56mm. No longer bother to do it as I don't really shoot all that mush.

I got a bit of emptys and if anyone lives within traveling distance, they're more than welcome tp come and take it FREE.
    IM me and will work out the logistics.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

I have bought at gun shows and here Brass cartridge cases and once fired cartridge cases for reloading from Cheyenne Brass, Inc.. I order with my brother in law to save on shipping.

Epi
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree, but if I was dumping range buckets or sweeping lanes clean, we wouldn't be looking for a brass exchange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links