Light .243 loads for 8 year old.

This is a discussion on Light .243 loads for 8 year old. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Ok, I am going to get the son a .243 for the upcoming deer season and was looking for a light load to let him ...

Thread: Light .243 loads for 8 year old.

Light .243 loads for 8 year old.

Ok, I am going to get the son a .243 for the upcoming deer season and was looking for a light load to let him practice with to get used to the gun, make sure he is on target ect.

I have all the stuff to reload .243, but haven't actually worked up any rounds for it. I currently have 100 gr lead and some 4895 powder that I bought to build a buddy rounds but we never got around to it.

My thinking is that I probably want to start with a smaller grain piece of lead, which isn't a problem. My question is can you go a bit lower than the recommended starting loads without an issue using 4895 powder.

Or if any of you have a 243 load that would be good for kids starting out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I guess I should have looked around the Hodgdon site a bit more. Last night while searching some other forums, I came across a reference to this data which is actually on the Hodgdon site.

For anyone interested they have Youth load data already worked up. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

Looks like with 4895 you can start at 60% of the max listed load and go from there for youth loads. Hope this helps other that might be looking for similar info.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links