Anyone reload carry ammo

This is a discussion on Anyone reload carry ammo within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; When I carry my 44 spcl I use my handloads because of the lack of good ammo available locally for that round. When I carry ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone reload carry ammo

When I carry my 44 spcl I use my handloads because of the lack of good ammo available locally for that round. When I carry my 45 I use new ammo due to the excellent selection of ammo for it locally.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

I am not concerned with creating factory ammo imitations. I have been a reloader long enough to know what loads should be for a given caliber and its intended use. I dont worry about fancy bullets. I use plain old lswc style, or lead round nose if for an auto loader. I dont try to hotrod them either. I keep everything in SAAMI specs.

I can shoot them often enough to know exactly what they will do in trajectory and in various mediums.

I dont have to pay 26 $ for a twenty round box, and cry because in practice I had to blow several boxes down range to practice with my carry load.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sorry for the typo. I meant how many load. Not how any load. Although the added information is appreciated.

It comes about because I am looking for ammo for my .357. Of course it is not cheap. Also I am running low on 9mm ammo. It just seems cheaper to buy some hollow points and load them up to a similar velocity as the factory ammo. Plus, with the savings I could actually test a bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Sorry for the typo. I meant how many load. Not how any load. Although the added information is appreciated.

It comes about because I am looking for ammo for my .357. Of course it is not cheap. Also I am running low on 9mm ammo. It just seems cheaper to buy some hollow points and load them up to a similar velocity as the factory ammo. Plus, with the savings I could actually test a bit of it.
    You have to make sure and chronograph them to know for sure what they are doing.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hope they are not too pricey.

To save on cost you can load ammo that mimics your carry ammo for range use,and carry factory for SD.I've been reloading long enough that I'm not worried about a malfunction in the ammo,and if a Prosecutor asks what kinda ammo I used,I'm gonna say the same ammo Winchester Or Federal sells to LE Agencies.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes, I do load my SD rounds. I've always liked the, "practice like you play and play like you practice" theory. However, I load the ammunition to what factory specs are for an SD round. Same weights, bullet and powder charge that results in the same velocity as stated on factory box. Mostly Hornady XTP bullets for reloading.

And yes, it saves a lot of money per round once you get over the initial cost of getting set up.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm happier to carry handloads. Greater care is taken in assembling them. I feel they are more reliable. My loads are made much like Glockman10mm describes his.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I'd explain the court issues related to reloaded ammo from an attorney's point of view...but:

a) I've done so previously and don't feel like doing it again;

b) I'm not interested in hearing "Not in Texas" again. It's an ignorant cop-out to a discussion that is used far too often.;

c) This is an issue which is so well discussed on this forum and by other professionals who have dealt with this issue before anyone who is uniformed is willfully so, and I don't educated the willfully ignorant;

d) Someone's going to say "Show me the caselaw!" and I already wrote a post on that several years ago, Show me the caselaw… so read that and learn something.

e) It's going to devolve into a discussion "Massad Ayoob know everything" v. "Massad Ayoob is a fearmonger" and speaking as someone who's taken one of his classes (which I'm still pissed about blowing a perfect score...grrrrr...2 shots and I've have done it...) AND has some professional divergence from his points of view regarding statement to the police, it degenerated into a worship/bashing fest by people who either partly/poorly grasp the issues at hand vs people who don't grasp them at all.

f) I think anyone who willingly introduces an additional element of information into a use of force situation's aftermath which they do not need to have introduced for their own safety is an idiot, so I'm not inclined to mince words about it.

g) Someone's gonna attempt to "play lawyer" with a bunch of "arguments" over how deadly handloads are...and they are going to do it wrong. I get sufficient poor lawyering in my day job from real attorneys. I don't need it from people who aren't going to fake it properly. It's not a law & order episode. It's really "The Office" with people's lives & freedom at stake. Or maybe Dilbert...
    Perhaps simply not posting a reply would be OK...

Attorney: You sir loaded you own bullets? You own Hollowpoint "death missiles"? To top it off, our ballistics "experts" says you put more powder in them than was needed. Guess you like "extra deadly" over "regular". You went out with a gun loaded with extra deadly bullets looking for a fight, hoping to KILL somebody.

Jury (Uneducated SHEEP).....BAAAAAAA (Gasp).

Buy factory. The small amount of SD ammo youshould be shooting regularly vs theamount of money you would save by loading your own makes the mmoney savings minimal and not worth the it in the long run.

I have worked in the criminal courts for over 10 years way too closely with attorneys. I rarely like the way they think, or the tactics they will try in a court of law.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Attorney: You sir loaded you own bullets? You own Hollowpoint "death missiles"? To top it off, our ballistics "experts" says you put more powder in them than was needed. Guess you like "extra deadly" over "regular". You went out with a gun loaded with extra deadly bullets looking for a fight, hoping to KILL somebody.

Jury (Uneducated SHEEP).....BAAAAAAA (Gasp).

Buy factory. The small amount of SD ammo youshould be shooting regularly vs theamount of money you would save by loading your own makes the mmoney savings minimal and not worth the it in the long run.

I have worked in the criminal courts for over 10 years way too closely with attorneys. I rarely like the way they think, or the tactics they will try in a court of law.
    That didn't take long...

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Reloading can save you money, but it's recommended that factory fresh ammo be carried for SD. Reloads however are great for target practice, especially if you can duplicate
    your SD load.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Very defensible. If you are within your rights to defend yourself with deadly force, it matters very little whether it's a ball bat, knife, fists, rock, factory loads, or handloads.

It is not a matter of instrument, but justification under the law. I have researched this to death, and talked with every good criminal attorney I know. They all have said the same thing.
    Most think it would be a good day if that's all they have to throw at you.

But, I would consult a few attorneys and even go to talk to your prosecuters in your jurisdiction to get real advise, that will appease your question.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I do for the 45 acp. I use high quality bullets, slower burn-rate powder (WSF) and stay a bit below max load (consulting several manuals). That combo gives me decent velocity and keeps the pressure down. A 100 rounds runs me about $25. Yes, I know the argument re: potential legal issues with doing this, but.... For higher pressure rounds which I reload (9 para. and 40 S&W) I generally avoid max loads, so when I carry it is with factory JHP.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I only use my reloads for practice at this point. I also am of course hoarding some for the zombie apocolypse. I only use factory ammo for SD carry. The reason being I have read that some ammo components can be temperature and humidity sensitive. I know that my carry ammo was assembled under conditions controlled by the manufacturer. I don't know the conditions under which my hand load primers were stored or transported since they left the factory. I would like to believe that they never encountered an environment that would result in a "click" when I desperately need a "bang" but I am not ready to bet my life on it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links