Anyone reload carry ammo - Page 3

Anyone reload carry ammo

This is a discussion on Anyone reload carry ammo within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Not that this has to do with handloading SD rounds, but the other night when I was loading some 45 acp. I dropped a primer, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone reload carry ammo

Not that this has to do with handloading SD rounds, but the other night when I was loading some 45 acp. I dropped a primer, yea I know I am the only one that does this. Well I found the dropped primer but I also found another one that apparently had been dropped some time ago. I hadn't loaded anything with LP primers in probably 6 or 8 months, and this primer looked like I had stepped on it and drug it across the concrete based on the groves wore across the back side.

(Don't try this at home) Anyway, just for kicks, I decide to load the found primer into a case and see what will happen. I put the empty case with the primer only into my XD, point it into the empty bucket I keep in my utility room and pull the trigger. Sure enough "pop", it really surprised me. With the high humidity and spending all winter on the floor somehow it had not affected that particular primer.

No I don't make a habit using stuff I find on the floor for reloading, it just surprised me the primer was still good after being kept in such poor conditions for so long.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I practice with handloads and carry factory.

I think if you are in court and for some reason they started trying to attack you with the ammo arguement you're going to be made out to be a deadly menace no matter what you carry.....

I would imagine they could argue just about anything... Such as "you carry a .45? Why do you need such a big gun?"
    Or
    " you carry hollow points? Because they are more deadly right?"
    Or
    "you where using +p ammo.... To make sure you kill who you shoot"
    or something along those lines. The same arguement is made for gun mods.... Even if the mods are cosmetic like punisher grips...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And guess what happens when you do load your own sd rounds,some young ,new DA will say you loaded that ammo with the intention of killing poor,pitiful Wilbur,then you spend your house,car,and familys comfort tryin to explain in court you were only trying to save 3 dollars.

McP1810, I used to wonder about that too. I even put a couple of rounds in a glass of water for over an hour to test the water, and they fired. I believe primers and powder have a shelf life of 30 to 40 years. I have never had a reload fail to fire.
    But I have had some dud factory loads.

I do understand the different thoughts on the issue, both legally and practically.
    Right now I am working on a batch for my 45 acp, and will not use them in this gun until I have worked out the bugs in them. The bugs are solely my fault, due to my getting familiar with the different process of reloading auto pistol ammo.
    But when I get it right, they too will be carried.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    And guess what happens when you do load your own sd rounds,some young ,new DA will say you loaded that ammo with the intention of killing poor,pitiful Wilbur,then you spend your house,car,and familys comfort tryin to explain in court you were only trying to save 3 dollars.
    that makes about as much sense as saying you have to defend why you were carrying that evil Glock handgun used by so many psychopath murderers in shooting sprees, or that you went to Lethal Force Institute just to learn how to " shoot" people more effieciently.
    Makes sense don't it?

Do you have a legal defense fund? I do. If you carry a weapon to use deadly force on someone and are concerned with the type of ammo used, but do not have a legal defense fund, then you are gagging on a gnat while swallowing a camel.
    bmcgilvray and tcox4freedom like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Actually I have some loads specifically designed for killing poor Wilbur in both .357 and .44 mag. Great hog loads that I use in the woods. Would I hesitate to use them for defensive purposes if I had to, nope. They would however most likely go through and through most men and weren't loaded with that intent.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

carry handloads

More than likely they will try to make a case that you reloaded some special concoction to be even more deadly than factory ammo.
    Carry factory ammo. Leave 3 or 4 rounds still in the original box and date it with which magazine that you carry, it is in. If you are ever involved in a self defense shooting you can produce these for a balistics test to help prove that perhaps the shot was fired from 5 feet instead of 50 feet as the shootee might claim. Also with handloads it dosen't matter what kind of records you keep, it is your word against an attorney's that that is what was loaded. And no way to reliably duplicate what you claim to have loaded.
    It might keep you out of jail or prison. If you have to actually pull the trigger, it's an expensive lesson in the judicial system.

bobo06

Or maybe the DA will be glad the piece of garbage that was shot got shot and there will be nothing to defend against, you get a key to the city and purchase the winning lottery ticket on the way home from the ceremony.

My scenario is just as likely as yours.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In FL A GOOD shoot is just that ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Or maybe the DA will be glad the piece of garbage that was shot got shot and there will be nothing to defend against, you get a key to the city and purchase the winning lottery ticket on the way home from the ceremony.

My scenario is just as likely as yours.
    Lol! This is exactly right!

Or, they may be more concerned with if it was justifiable, which, is the real thing to worry about. And if it was, nothing else makes a difference. The way the projectile or method used is a mute point after that has been established.

Doesn't. This sound stupid; eh, sir, why did you use a Louiville slugger to kill the person instead of a Spaulding aluminum bat? Is it because you thought you were Hank Arron and wanted to hit a home run with his head?

Or, you used a Very dangerous Cold Steel knife especially designed for cutting peoples guts out instead of a Buck Folder.

Or, to get real stupid, you chose a Phillips head screw driver instead of a flathead because you are a sicko and wanted maximum penetration aren't you.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Doesn't. This sound stupid; eh, sir, why did you use a Louiville slugger to kill the person instead of a Spaulding aluminum bat? Is it because you thought you were Hank Arron and wanted to hit a home run with his head?
    You made the bat..... Specifically to hit the bg's coconut out of the park... Didn't you?
    glockman10mm likes this.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Glockman10mm,
    That test with the assembled rounds sort of goes with what I am looking at. Once they are assembled cartridges are fairly weather proof. But the packages primers come in are hardly air tight. My concern is how many heating and cooling cycles they go through and with unknown humidity how much if any condensation could form and contaminate the priming compound.
    I have had a number of handloads with CCI small pistol primers that didn't go on the first strike. Could be I failed to seat them fully when I loaded them. Until I know that is the cause, I use factory for carry ammo.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Glockman10mm,
    That test with the assembled rounds sort of goes with what I am looking at. Once they are assembled cartridges are fairly weather proof. But the packages primers come in are hardly air tight. My concern is how many heating and cooling cycles they go through and with unknown humidity how much if any condensation could form and contaminate the priming compound.
    I have had a number of handloads with CCI small pistol primers that didn't go on the first strike. Could be I failed to seat them fully when I loaded them. Until I know that is the cause, I use factory for carry ammo.
    I inherited a quantity of primers in what appeared to be 1960s/early 1970s packaging from my old shooting buddy's widow. Both Remington and CCI primers. They had been stored in a dry, unheated detached garage, suffering through a number of hot Texas summers, changes in humidity, and some short but fairly cold spells (10F) during our winters. I gave them a test drive (test load?) and they performed normally.

On the other hand I used to store primers right on the reloading bench which also sees duty cleaning and maintaining my guns. I determined that the accumulated vapor and minuscule droplets issuing forth from scrubbing out handgun barrels and cylinders with Hoppe's No. 9 gave me a few duds from the individual trays of primers. These trays actually showed discoloration from the solvent over time. The trays from unopened 1000 count cartons didn't give problems. I moved the primers after that.

The most significant primer failure I ever experienced was with the first Texas Concealed Carry 50-round qualification shoot I endured. The State had given strict guidelines for most every aspect of the concealed carry qualification process and dictated only a few name brands of factory ammunition could be used. Right after the first shot of a "2-shot in 3 second" drill at a 7 yard target, my .45 automatic dropped the hammer on a dud Remington factory load, thus knocking me out of a perfect score for my first ever qualification for concealed carry. The instructors rightly said "no alibis" for this kind of shooting. What if the axe was about to fall? The incident tainted my subsequent opinion of all semi-auto pistols as a breed and further colored my thinking on the reliability of factory loads.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Glockman10mm,
    I totally understand that. If I had that experience, I may feel the same. The confidence has got to be there.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I carry factory loads for every day carry but I carry my reloads in the woods. I trust my reloads more then factory ammo. I haven't been reloading for too long and buy components that I can fine locally. I have yet to see any HP bullets locally that I would want to carry so that is the main reason I don't carry reloads everyday. I'm content with factory Gold Dots in 9MM and 40Cal for now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links