Anyone reload carry ammo

This is a discussion on Anyone reload carry ammo within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Reloads in my revolvers and factory loads in my semi autos. I do not reload the semi auto rounds, if I did that is what ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone reload carry ammo

Reloads in my revolvers and factory loads in my semi autos. I do not reload the semi auto rounds, if I did that is what I would carry.

In my revolvers I can cast my bullet to match the velocity and intended use. 20 to 1 lead tin mix hollowpoint @ 1200 fps is a good combination.
    glockman10mm likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Normally, I choose to carry Remington, Federal, Speer, or Winchester manufactured personal protection ammunition. I prefer to reserve my handloads for practice sessions. However, I recently purchased a .38 Super pistol. And, aside from Winchester Silvertips, which I think are rather antiquated, as well as expensive, .38 Super defense ammo just isn't being marketed by the major ammunition companies. So I will be using my own carefully handloaded ammo for carry in this particular pistol.

And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    To save on cost you can load ammo that mimics your carry ammo for range use,and carry factory for SD.I've been reloading long enough that I'm not worried about a malfunction in the ammo,and if a Prosecutor asks what kinda ammo I used,I'm gonna say the same ammo Winchester Or Federal sells to LE Agencies.
    Ditto - on all points. I am as cheap as the next person, but my life - and those of my family members - is worth far, far more than the difference in the cost between my handloads and factory SD ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I've reloaded for years for use in my hunting rifles /shotgun's the reason being they are more reliable and there arent any variations in the load also squib's and the price. I now also have my pistol and have purchased the dye set to reload for it also. Once I have shot all my factory loads up I will only carry reloads and I alternate my bullets from full metal to hollow points" A good boy scout is always prepaired" As for a defense in court price and squibs. I wanted my weapon to be safe reliable and inexpensive, as for the different loads I was target practicing and wanted to see how my weapon acted with the diferent bullets and loads.

One should not forget the availability of good ammo. For many years those of us who use a 44 spcl were stuck with the 246 gr round nose lead bullet. Now we do have a choice of some nice hollowpoint rounds if that is what you want.
    However if you want to use the best bullet in that gun you are still stuck with rolling your own. The Keith 245 gr SWC lead bullet cannot be matched in the 44 spcl if you ask me.

Michael

What I haven't figured out yet is HOW they know the loads are reloads vs factory.

Do they send them to a lab and have the components pulled to check? Since I have never had to defend myself in a SD shooting do they check ammo components when a justifiable shooting takes place??

If they did for some reason, why can't I tell them I bought them at the local gun show and didn't know what they were, heck they came in a Remington box and were marked 45 ACP, 230 grain bullet. That's all I know about my ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    What I haven't figured out yet is HOW they know the loads are reloads vs factory.

Do they send them to a lab and have the components pulled to check? Since I have never had to defend myself in a SD shooting do they check ammo components when a justifiable shooting takes place??
    That's exactly what happens, if the ammo becomes an issue.

If they did for some reason, why can't I tell them I bought them at the local gun show and didn't know what they were, heck they came in a Remington box and were marked 45 ACP, 230 grain bullet. That's all I know about my ammo.
    If it isn't true, that's called perjury and is a felony. Get caught lying and your credibility just went down the toilet.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's exactly what happens, if the ammo becomes an issue.

Do you have any links to documentation showing that this has happened? I'd like to see something on it. Maybe my Google-fu isn't searching the right topics or keywords.

If it isn't true, that's called perjury and is a felony. Get caught lying and your credibility just went down the toilet.
    How can they "prove" I loaded it?

In my case a quick assessment of my residence would establish that I'm of the habit to handload.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm just wondering why a jurist would think a mild 9mm 125 LRN reload would be any more deadly (or evil) than a commercially loaded Buffalo Bore .44 Mag?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That is not always the issue. In a recent thread (can't find it right now) was a link to something by Ayoob where powder residue was a big issue in a murder trail.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It's likely not necessary to prove WHO loaded the ammo, simply that it WAS NOT factory ammo.
    Last edited by Majorlk; September 5th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

A few years ago I carried .45 Colt Reloads for defensive carry due to the scarcity of factory loads. Until the introduction of the "Judge" the only factory ammo aroung my area were reduced power "Cowboy Action" loads. Although in hindsight most factory loads for .45 colt are probably adequate. Now in winter I usually carry a Ruger Red Hawk with 2 speedloaders(25-5) =18 rounds of 225gr Speer Critical Defense .45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    It's likely not necessary to prove WHO loaded the ammo, simply that it WAS NOT factory ammo.
    I guess that if a person buys ammo, you need to request documentation that it is factory loaded ammo and not "reloads". With this logic, Black Hills Blue Box would be considered "reloads" and lot sufficient for personal protection.

Oh well, to each their own. I still haven't seen case documentation that ammo is disassembled and components checked.

The idea, I suppose is being able to duplicate the residue or powder burn to confirm your story of distance fired. In the Ayoob files it related a story about a man who made reduced loads for his wife and she commited suicide with those loads.
    There are possible issues that " could " arise from this, but it seems to be in very rare circumstances.

I personally am not concerned with this. If I have the need to pull the trigger, it will be obvious and without question as to the need. I will continue to roll my own.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links