Anyone reload carry ammo

This is a discussion on Anyone reload carry ammo within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just wondering if anyone is reloading their defensive ammo. I currently do not, but have considered it due to cost savings....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone reload carry ammo

Anyone reload carry ammo

Just wondering if anyone is reloading their defensive ammo. I currently do not, but have considered it due to cost savings.

2. Remove Ads

I think that some people do concoct their own loads for SD but most people carry factory SD rounds

Black Hills stuff...

But considering Black Hills reloads are better than some companies new stuff...it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is reloading their defensive ammo. I currently do not, but have considered it due to cost savings.
    Can you explain the cost savings thought?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You're probably gonna get a bunch of "Oh, my gosh no! Don't do it." Use of any firearm, regardless of what ammo is in it, is the use of deadly force. Neither factory or reloaded ammo is any more or less deadly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes quite frequently.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Can you explain the cost savings thought?
    Not a thought. I can buy the components to load Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points lots cheaper than I can buy the complete bullets.

I have the stuff to load different varieties of SD loads, I simply haven't gotten around or taken the time to develop the loads which will imitate the factory loads. I know that 124gr +p 9mm come out of my 24/7 at 1210 fps. If I take the same piece of lead and find a accurate reliable load that gives the same velocity without any difference in recoil or pressure, the bullet in theory will do the same thing upon impact as the factory load.

The thought of what using reloads would cost me if I ever needed to use them doesn't concern me. I know some of the "top ghuru's" will argue that it is a dangerous thing to do. However those ghuru's are taking folks money to give them advice and the people come from all over the world or country. The ghuru's aren't going to say anything that would come back to bite them in the arse later. If they said, sure use reloads, and some numbskull loads bad stuff or does something otherwise stupid, numbskull will be the first to tell everyone ghuruX told me to do it. Probably wouldn't be good for ghuru's future income in the firearms instruction business would it? They are covering thier own behinds first and foremost.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i replicate a SD round and use it for practice. it has same POA/POI and perceived recoil as the factory SD but at greatly reduced cost.
    i load factory when carrying. i also try to carry the same type of round that my State Police and/or local Police carry. hopefully this would
    minimize any time spent in court discussing the deadliness of my bullets.
    ConcealedG30 likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    i replicate a SD round and use it for practice. it has same POA/POI and perceived recoil as the factory SD but at greatly reduced cost.
    i load factory when carrying. i also try to carry the same type of round that my State Police and/or local Police carry. hopefully this would
    minimize any time spent in court discussing the deadliness of my bullets.
    I am commenting while not knowing all the facts of the matter but keep in mind many police agencies base their decisions on weapons and ammo purchases on more than the effectiveness of the weapon or ammo, cost plays sometimes is a huge factor. I am not saying that whatever your state police chose to use is bad, but it may not be the best available

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You're probably gonna get a bunch of "Oh, my gosh no! Don't do it." Use of any firearm, regardless of what ammo is in it, is the use of deadly force. Neither factory or reloaded ammo is any more or less deadly.
    I think that's true, but I would much rather face a judge or jury having used factory loads instead of reloads to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Not a thought. I can buy the components to load Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points lots cheaper than I can buy the complete bullets.

I have the stuff to load different varieties of SD loads, I simply haven't gotten around or taken the time to develop the loads which will imitate the factory loads. I know that 124gr +p 9mm come out of my 24/7 at 1210 fps. If I take the same piece of lead and find a accurate reliable load that gives the same velocity without any difference in recoil or pressure, the bullet in theory will do the same thing upon impact as the factory load.

The thought of what using reloads would cost me if I ever needed to use them doesn't concern me. I know some of the "top ghuru's" will argue that it is a dangerous thing to do. However those ghuru's are taking folks money to give them advice and the people come from all over the world or country. The ghuru's aren't going to say anything that would come back to bite them in the arse later. If they said, sure use reloads, and some numbskull loads bad stuff or does something otherwise stupid, numbskull will be the first to tell everyone ghuruX told me to do it. Probably wouldn't be good for ghuru's future income in the firearms instruction business would it? They are covering thier own behinds first and foremost.
    I don't get to carry all that often (only when out of state). I do re-load practice ammo (FMJ) and keep factory loads (EFMJ) for SD. The way I look at is I buy 1 box of factory ammo every 2 years. If the factory box costs me a little more for that box I'm OK with it.

I'd explain the court issues related to reloaded ammo from an attorney's point of view...but:

a) I've done so previously and don't feel like doing it again;

b) I'm not interested in hearing "Not in Texas" again. It's an ignorant cop-out to a discussion that is used far too often.;

c) This is an issue which is so well discussed on this forum and by other professionals who have dealt with this issue before anyone who is uniformed is willfully so, and I don't educated the willfully ignorant;

d) Someone's going to say "Show me the caselaw!" and I already wrote a post on that several years ago, Show me the caselaw… so read that and learn something.

e) It's going to devolve into a discussion "Massad Ayoob know everything" v. "Massad Ayoob is a fearmonger" and speaking as someone who's taken one of his classes (which I'm still pissed about blowing a perfect score...grrrrr...2 shots and I've have done it...) AND has some professional divergence from his points of view regarding statement to the police, it degenerated into a worship/bashing fest by people who either partly/poorly grasp the issues at hand vs people who don't grasp them at all.

f) I think anyone who willingly introduces an additional element of information into a use of force situation's aftermath which they do not need to have introduced for their own safety is an idiot, so I'm not inclined to mince words about it.

g) Someone's gonna attempt to "play lawyer" with a bunch of "arguments" over how deadly handloads are...and they are going to do it wrong. I get sufficient poor lawyering in my day job from real attorneys. I don't need it from people who aren't going to fake it properly. It's not a law & order episode. It's really "The Office" with people's lives & freedom at stake. Or maybe Dilbert...

MitchellCT, What the ?????

RANT!!! RANT!!!
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I think we all know the arguments for or against. I was simply curious how many actually do reload SD ammo.
    Last edited by zeppelin03; August 19th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    zep---if you are asking How Do They Load SD Ammo here is a bit easier to answer--

many of the actual bullets are available to the public at better stocked stores or on line; generally $25-35 per 100
    the cases may be plated, nickle to 'set them apart', make them look different/better. it does not make a better cartrage
    the powder may be a mix not available to the public (yet) though a re-loader with a lot of knowledge to draw from generally can
    make something that passes for the factory round well enough to substitute during practice.
    remember--you want yours to go to the same place and feel the same, not how fast it is or how/if it expands.
    primers--let us hope that they are using their best tested, top shelf here. i tend towards magnum and hard for my home brew.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links