New Equipment Advice Needed

This is a discussion on New Equipment Advice Needed within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am looking to expand my reloading bench. I currently use a black and decker workmate. My first order of business is to buy a ...

Thread: New Equipment Advice Needed

New Equipment Advice Needed

I am looking to expand my reloading bench. I currently use a black and decker workmate. My first order of business is to buy a real bench. We carry workbenches at my work. So I got that covered.

Now to the matter that requires some input.

I am starting to reload multiple calibers. I am considering buying another powder measure. Seems like it would be a lot simpler to have one for each caliber. Save recalibrating it all the time. Anyone else doing this? I could use some recommendations on one. I have a lee powder measure, but was curious if the RCBS and others are worth the extra cost.

Also, I had the same question for beam scales. I own the lee model, but was curious is the RCBS are worth the extra cost.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    For pistol calibers I use a RCBS Little Dandy measure, no need to calibrate just pick the rotor based on the powder charge and powder used. As far as scales I have an Ohaus 1010 that is over 30 years, RCBS bought out Ohaus some years ago and now manufactures the same scale as their 1010 model.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Is the Little Dandy similar to the auto disks? You choose the right size cavity and load based off of that.

I saw the 1010 and was considering upgrading. Seems real solid. Costs a bit, but looks like it would be a one time buy.

VIP Member
    I’m not familiar with the auto disk but the Little Dandy uses interchangeable rotors to throw the charge.

Here is a picture of the measure and the rotors. https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...J026&route=C07

Here are the instructions to include the charge chart. http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf

As far as the 1010 I bought mine over 30 years ago and have not worn it out yet, still have the receipt paid $39.95 back then.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The Hornady powder measure has a micrometer-head adjustable plunger available as an accessory, and it works with both the pistol and rifle-sized powder drums. It allows you to record what the micrometer setting is for each load, so it gives you a starting point when you change back to a caliber for which you've developed a specific load. You'll still want to throw a few charges and weigh them when you change loads, but it beats flying blind.

Re scales, I can only vouch for the RCBS 505 I have, which is adequate for the task. I need to re-level (re-zero) at each use, but that should be your standard protocol anyway, along with using a check weight close to your charge weight.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've used (and still use) both Lee and RCBS (and other) scales and powder measures, for both rifle and pistol. They all work well enough, and are accurate enough, so you won't see any improvement in those two areas. The RCBS stuff is all metal, whereas Lee uses plastic parts extensively, so the RCBS gear feels more solid, for what that's worth. You can't go wrong either way.

If I understand the question; let's see, different calibers, different bullet weights, different purposes....far to many variables for a powder measure for each IMO. Just put up with adjusting the one you have. Re: beam scales, I have a Lee and it is somewhat of a PITA to use. RCBS isn't bad and, I think, worth the added cost. I've started using a D-Terminator (Dillon electronic) most of the time and really like its simplicity, speed and accuracy.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

All my stuff is Lyman, but the beam scale works fine as long as you rezero before each session or when you tump it over for some reason.

Adjusting the powder measure only takes 5 minutes or less to make sure it is throwing the right charge when I change lead weights, calibers or whatever. Then I load hundreds (or even a thousand sometimes) of that particular cartridge so really in the whole scheme of things adjusting the measure is not really a big deal.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links