.223/5.56 dual purpose loads; coyotes and HD

This is a discussion on .223/5.56 dual purpose loads; coyotes and HD within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My Savage .223 bolt action really likes the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I can get sub-MOA groups using Benchmark powder. Previously, I've used these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223/5.56 dual purpose loads; coyotes and HD

My Savage .223 bolt action really likes the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I can get sub-MOA groups using Benchmark powder.

Previously, I've used these handloads from a couple of buddies, but now I'm getting set up to build my own. I just recently got an AR, so I haven't had a chance to see how they'll work. But, I'm sure that I can make them work well enough for defensive purposes; that is, accuracy wise.

My quandary is thus: how well will the fragile Ballistic tip work at HD ranges against bi-ped intruders?

On one hand, I'm thinking that they would work very well to avoid over-penetration and pass-throughs. But I'm also concerned that they may, at short distances, be near 3000 fps and fragment without necessary penetration.

If the experienced community here thinks that these loads would be insufficient, then perhaps you could point me in another direction. I would like something that would work for both situations.

My bolt gun has a 1-12 twist rate, and I believe will handle up to ~60 grains. The AR has 1-7, by my research leads me to believe that it can handle 50 grains and heavier.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

In .223/5.56, even FMJ is a fine anti-personnel round, but you won't be under-gunned at home with the expanding ammo. For the AR, though, I'd be inclined to stick with factory ammo for reliability's sake for defensive purposes. The Hornady TAP loadings are used a lot by SWAT and other LE agenices - you might emulate that with your handloads.
    My bolt gun has a 1-12 twist rate, and I believe will handle up to ~60 grains. The AR has 1-7, by my research leads me to believe that it can handle 50 grains and heavier.
    The faster twist rate favors longer bullets, which translates into heavier bullets in the .223/5.56, Your AR with its 1:7 will nicely stabilize those 60 to 70-something grain bullets; not so sure about your bolt gun with its slow twist rate.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I think the Sierra 60 gr. varminter is the best kept secret for the AR as an all around bullet. VERY accurate, I have shot in the mid 180's with it at 600 yd. and cleans at 200 & 300. I have never killed anything with them but my experience with other Sierra varmint bullets has been quite satisfactory. Often times you can find them cheaper than 55's and because of the hollow point no problem feeding through the AR's system.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Frangible varmit ammo is gonna do some damage at HD defense ranges. At 3000 fps, yeah, their gonna wish they had picked a different house. I wouldnt hesitate to use the ballistic tips as long as they are reliable in your gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

A 62 to 69 grain bonded soft point will do well on either, and hogs, and deer.
    Palmetto State Armory has a good deal on Federal XM223SP1 62gr bonded, $10 a box if you'd rather buy. This round is the same as the Federal Fusion hunting round. It is what I keep loaded for HD. These will penetrate better than a varmit bullet in case you have to shoot thru a door or windshield.

You could try 55gr Barnes TSX or TTSX's...they work just dandy on deer, with excellent expansion full and penetration through the boiler room the norm.

May be just the ticket.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Those Barnes bullets are a bit pricey for me.

Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets

Additionally, Glockman doesn't think that they're very reloader/semi-automatic friendly.

I think that these may be just the ticket: http://palmettostatearmory.com/863.php

I am also reading good things about the Hornady 55 grain soft points

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I run them in a couple of my AR's with absolutely no issues. My HD AR has chewed through a couple hundred of them, in both Federal's Vital-Shok line and Barnes VOR-TX with no issues (55gr TSX), and that's what sits in the mag as I type.

They are perfectly autoloader friendly.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Right now, I have 55 gr FMJ's, but have the same questions you do... for exactly the same reasons ... coyotes and HD.

One advantage of FMJ may be it will get the first guy, the guy behind him, and maybe even the guy behind him. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I hastily put together a load with components that I have:

55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips

24.5 grains Hodgdon Benchmark

Winchester cases, CCI 400 small rifle primers.

The wind was blowing pretty stiff, from behind me and to the right. But I was still able to get a decent group with the bolt gun:

TgtGfx.jpg

I ran a few through my AR to make sure that they functioned ok. I'm gonna blame the wind and my lack of practice with irons:

ar target 50.jpg

I'm going to install a 3x9 scope on my AR, in order to see what kind of accuracy I can get with it. I'm also going to get a box of 60 grain Partitions. We'll see how they perform in both rifles.

The Barnes bullets are out, simply because they're so costly. And I don't really want to go with too heavy of bullets, because I want to shoot them from the bolt gun, also.

I will keep loading heavier bullets, until I get over MOA with the bolt gun.

The partitions are nice but expensive, I would recommend you give the speer 70 gr Semi Sptz a try. With its round nose profile it works in various rifle twists from fast to slow. It is a very accurate bullet and has a good lenght to dia. ratio. It has been my goto .223 bullet for decades and serves well in defensive and hunting situations

Good luck!

PS: I am not saying the partition is worse only more expensive. Also keep an eye on the web site Shooters pro shop. They sell factory seconds for Nosler and every once in a while the 60 gr partition comes up for sale.

In-Stock - Shooter's Pro Shop - Reloading, Hunting, & Shooting Supplies. Exclusive Nosler Factory Seconds Dealer

Administrator
    "The AR has 1-7, by my research leads me to believe that it can handle 50 grains and heavier."

A 1/7 twist rate usually likes a heavier bullet weight than the 55grain. Your 1/12 bolt should perform better w/ the 55.

I just did some work with Partition in the AR, and liked them very much. This should be a great all rounder.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Take a look at the Winchester 64 grain Power Point bullet. They hold together on deer size game and should do OK in your 1/12 bolt gun. I shoot them in 1/7 and 1/9 AR's and they shoot just fine.

This is becoming a popular and cheaper alternative for the SHTF crowd than the more expensive 75-77 grain Sierra bullets.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Nosler 60g ballistic tip
    23gr Benchmark
    Loaded to Magazine length-2.26"

Cycle fine through both of my ARs with good accuracy.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links