.40 S&W Loads

.40 S&W Loads

This is a discussion on .40 S&W Loads within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Has anyone done any load development for .40/155 gr. using Unique? Specifically range loads (950-1,000 fps) rather than performance loads. Same question using HS-6. Thanks....

Thread: .40 S&W Loads

.40 S&W Loads

Has anyone done any load development for .40/155 gr. using Unique? Specifically range loads (950-1,000 fps) rather than performance loads.

Same question using HS-6.

Thanks.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i used aa5 for my 40/155 gr loads. i will have to look up how fast they are runing in my g23 and g27 and how much powder i drop. i got the chronograph and reloading data down in the man cave. but if i remember it is just under 1000 fps. good load for range work. i might also have some titegroup loads for the 40 cal.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

6.2 grains unique, 1061fps, 32200 psi.
    from "modern reloading" second edition 2010 reprint

155grain lead bullet. not copper plated.
    I have no data for unique using plated bullets in this book.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

155grain HP-XTP bullet
    7.2 grains of HS-6 - 950FPS
    7.6 grains of HS-6 - 1000FPS
    8.0 grains of HS-6 - 1050FPS

from Hornday 7th edition 2007 printing
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

tbrenke:

Thanks, I have the reloading manual data. I was looking for actual experience. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I use 6.0 gr. of Unique with 155 cast bullets....extremely accurate through my Sig 250.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I use Unique for my 40 loads using that same weight. I believe I use 5.8 Gns. ****CAUTION**** THE NEW UNIQUE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OLD. iT IS HOTTER, SO START AT THE LOWEST AND WORK UP.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

What about with plated bullets? .40 is a new caliber for me to reload. I'm looking primarily for a somewhat lighter (1,000 fps or a little less) range load.

FWIW, I have a untapped 8-pound keg of Unique that I purchased in 1980. :)

How about HS-6?

The new cleaner burning Unique is the one that's different. A batch from 1980 would be pretty much on for the load data currently in print.

Same data for plated should be fine for lead, you will just get some free velocity from lead, due to less barrel friction.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Does anyone have some available recipes for this? With and without Unique powder (other brands?). Just curious what others are doing. A friend loaded up a few different levels of spicy we have yet to shoot. Maybe recipes with some basic ballistic data?
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

I've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds using 5.2 grains of Unique under a Berry's flattened nose 165gr. They run great in my H&K P30, Walther PPS, and Glock 22. Shot several hundred today. Nice practice round.

Quote Originally Posted by jburns3 View Post
    I've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds using 5.2 grains of Unique under a Berry's flattened nose 165gr. They run great in my H&K P30, Walther PPS, and Glock 22. Shot several hundred today. Nice practice round.
    Thanks.

I settled on 6.2 grains of Unique and the Barry's 155 grain FP. Comfortable shooting combination but close enough to my 180 grain HSTs so there's not too big of an adjustment to the change in recoil.

Note: This load is with the OLD Unique, not the current production.
    Last edited by Majorlk; December 5th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.

Sorry, I like Unique fine for the 40 (altho I like WSF better), but all of my reload experience with the cal. is with 165 and 180 gr. bullets. Good luck.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Good thread. I have about a pound of the "old" Unique to use up, and I am soon going to be working up a load for the .40 (I am currently only loading .45).

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Good thread. I have about a pound of the "old" Unique to use up, and I am soon going to be working up a load for the .40 (I am currently only loading .45).
    I am down to about a pound left of an 8-pound keg and still have another untapped 8-pounder. :)

I settled on 6.2 grains with 155 grain Berry plated FP because that was what one of the holes in my Lee Auto-Disk drops. I tried the loads on either side and this was a good compromise between reliability and recoil for plinking loads in my PT140. If you want something a little heavier, you could probably go up to 7 grains. I might have, if I was shooting a full size pistol, but in a compact I prefer the lighter load. All three weights (155, 165 and 180) in SD ammo is pretty stiff - not comfortable for extended shooting for my old hands. My carry load is 180 grain Federal HST, but I also have 165 grain Hydra-Shok and 155 grain HST that I shoot on occasion.

Links