Precision Delta Load Data

This is a discussion on Precision Delta Load Data within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have my reloading manual in front of me, but can't decide which category to follow. I would be buying FMJ. Their sight says its ...

Thread: Precision Delta Load Data

I have my reloading manual in front of me, but can't decide which category to follow. I would be buying FMJ. Their sight says its a copper jacket. Should I use regular FMJ data or copper plated?

May be a simple answer, but I wasn't sure if this brand is considered plated lead or a true FMJ. If that makes sense.

If it is helpful I am using modern reloading second edition.

Senior Moderator
    Doesnt really matter. FMJ is copper that is swaged on the bullet, copper plated uses a chemical plating process.

As long as the bullet weight corresponds, it'll be good to go.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Great. Some of the data corresponds well and I won't have to adjust my powder dispenser knowing that.

Senior Moderator
    I pretty much quit using the copper plated stuff. Yeah, its cheap, but it never seemed to be as accurate as the regualar FMJ stuff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have only used a few hundred lead rounds, but the FMJ seems a lot easier to load. As long as Delta is true FMJ I should be very pleased.

Precision Deltas are jacketed, not plated. Use the FMJ data in your manual. They are a great price and I've have very good luck with them in various calibers.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I inquired directly to Berry's on load data with their plated bullets. The response I received was it's ok to follow load data for jacketed bullets ( most written material says follow data for lead bullets with plated rounds ), just don't exceed 1200 fps. that could cause the plating to separate.

Keep in mind also, that the plated bullets I've seen eg. Berry's & Rainer, are 1/1000 greater diameter. Ex. plated 9mm=.356 while jacketed is .355 I don't know how big a difference that makes on pressures, but maybe it does.

Now days, plated bullets are just not a bargain, in fact, I have found some plated bullets are actually more money than jacketed. When my budget allows, I buy jacketed, otherwise i buy lead bullets and save about 20-25%.

I digress: Precision Delta are metal jacket, and that's the loading data to use. I use PD bullets and like them a lot.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Sponsored Links