Anyone load a 124 Gr JHP for their 9mm ?

This is a discussion on Anyone load a 124 Gr JHP for their 9mm ? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I tried my first dozen reloads (for my 9) yesterday with poor results... I was using 4.5 Grs of HS6, and Rem. 124 gr JHP,s ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Archie

Thread: Anyone load a 124 Gr JHP for their 9mm ?

Anyone load a 124 Gr JHP for their 9mm ?

I tried my first dozen reloads (for my 9) yesterday with poor results... I was using 4.5 Grs of HS6, and Rem. 124 gr JHP,s seated to 1.09. Upon further review I see the data is for a "FMJ" typically a longer bullet... The cases stove piped, nose dived, and generally malfunctioned... Any one have experience with this combination? Thanks
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

2. Remove Ads

Not Gold Dots , But HP's I use Unique powder & run em up to the high end, Works great. PS Good Luck ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I use Berry Mfg 124gr Hollow Base Round Nose (HBRN) which is a plated bullet, with 4.5gr of HP-38, and an OAL of 1.140.

I use this load in all my 9mms. CZ85B, Beretta PX4 Compact and FN FNX-9. Works great.

Good luck with your efforts.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I think I found my problem. I started at 4.5 instead of 6.5.....Duh

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Much better results with 6.6 grs of HS-6 and a length of 1.125. No feed or extraction hiccups, and good groups (although I did not bench rest this load). Also shot the .41 mag, the .22 mag, and the .44 Mag Lever (extensively, till the shoulder got mushy)... A great day at the range overall, and long overdue.

Glad you discovered your issue before I chimed in. I don't use HS6 for 9mm, but looking at my manuals, your initial load was very light and, as you found out, that can cause function issues. I've been in your situation using the start load in 45 acp (function ok in two guns, but not the third-heavier spring or slide maybe) and know it can be frustrating until you figure out the issue. Anyhow, good job going back to basics to figure out the issue.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Good thing you screwed up on the light side and not the heavy side,a 2 grain powder difference in some loads if you don't overflow the case can cause not only an overcharge,but also compression resulting in higher pressures and a kabooooom,when changing Powder/caliber I still open the book and check for how many grains,then adjust powder drop and check several cases for weight before proceeding.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Good thing you screwed up on the light side and not the heavy side,a 2 grain powder difference in some loads if you don't overflow the case can cause not only an overcharge,but also compression resulting in higher pressures and a kabooooom,when changing Powder/caliber I still open the book and check for how many grains,then adjust powder drop and check several cases for weight before proceeding.
    My thought exactly....A small error in my 25-06, 308 or even.41 is not as big a deal as one made with the 9. Especially with seating depth being critical. Thats why I lengthened it a bit too, and was glad when after the first shot that face, hands, and pistol parts were all intact.

I only load a 9x19 NATO military duplication load. It functions the three pistols I have in 9x19 and I don't use them for defense. Not to mention I have a can of commercial hollow point ammunition should I feel the need.

I use only WW231 powder on the middlish-upper end of the data. It functions well and is below maximum pressures. You seem to have that figured out, I just thought I'd reinforce your finding.

It's also good to note another C. S. Lewis fan. One of the better 'explainers' of modern time.
    Rightwing likes this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I like HS-6 a lot in my Glocks. I end up with 6.9g of HS-6 pushing the Berry's 115g plated round nose, COL of 1.16". Works great. Meets the power floor for IDPA just fine out of my G19. HS-6 fills up the case pretty good, be really hard to do a double charge with it.

I use 6.2g of VV N-350 with the 115g Berry's PRN seated at 1.16" to meet the IDPA power floor in my G26. Th is is the only poweder I've found that will allow the G26 to make the required velocity with this bullet. I like to shoot the G26 in matches now and then just for the practice.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Fitch, Good to know, I too like the HS6. How do you like the Berrys plated? Pretty clean?

For what its worth I use a 124 gr lead cast bullet over 3.8 grs of hodgdens titegroup powder. I use it in my xdsc 9mm and have had good results.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post
    Fitch, Good to know, I too like the HS6. How do you like the Berrys plated? Pretty clean?
    The Berry's bullets work really well for me. Clean as JHP or FMJ.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Links