Reloading Data (Question about bullet types and manufactures)

This is a discussion on Reloading Data (Question about bullet types and manufactures) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am going to be getting in to reloading here pretty quick and have been doing my homework on different load data. I found a ...

Thread: Reloading Data (Question about bullet types and manufactures)

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Reloading Data (Question about bullet types and manufactures)

I am going to be getting in to reloading here pretty quick and have been doing my homework on different load data. I found a bullet manufacture thebulletworks.net which has some pretty good prices on bulk bullets. My problem is that I can not find any specific load data in any manuals, internet or powder manufactures data for this brand of bullet. My question is would it be safe to use load data for another brand bullet of the same makeup such as 115 gr 9mm plated bullets.

2. Remove Ads

The biggest differentiator for bullet loads is lead or jacketed bullet, for a given bullet weight. Once you get past that categorization, brand of bullet usually makes little difference in handgun reoading and ballistics. If in doubt, ask your bullet supplier about load data for his bullets.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd say gasmitty is right on. Another thing to look out for is solid copper constructed bullets. They have to be made longer to make weight, and thus be seated deeper to meet OAL requirements, which drastically affects pressure.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

For data, you'll find that the powder manufacturers are your friend if you'll just contact them. Some bullet manufacturers will even share data suitable for bullets not of their manufacture. The internet is your friend as well as this forum. Just take everything heard or read with a slight grain of salt and take the trouble to work up the loads for your own gun. Assemble small batches, well segregated and labeled, and shoot them off, beginning with the mildest loading, observing the pistol's behavior, ejection pattern, and recoil. Gather a sample of various fired cases from factory loads fired in your gun for comparison purposes with your newly crafted handloads. Read about pressure signs and learn them while realizing that they aren't hard and fast indicators of a load's pressure level.

If you don't immediately embrace the maximum listed loads for any given bullet weight and style you're not going to have a minute's trouble out of a modern handgun from a quality maker. Once you learn the ropes then you can experimentally dabble with loads that crowd the listed maximum powder charge weights.

"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" Doesn't apply to the prudent and attentive handloader, hah!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

And there you have it!

As a side note, even bullets of a similar design and weight may require adjustments to seating depth to function in your gun. Take your time, read, and learn. Good luck and have fun.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Lee Reloading manual is about the most "complete" data book as far as different types of bullets. Start with min loads and work up
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

Links