Choosing an Entry Level Reloading Press + Book - Page 2

Choosing an Entry Level Reloading Press + Book

This is a discussion on Choosing an Entry Level Reloading Press + Book within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by tts Good idea. You mean this one? Amazon.com: Lee 2nd Edition Reloading Manual Md: 90277 . (0734307902773): Books Yep!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Choosing an Entry Level Reloading Press + Book

Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    Yep!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I ve had years of fun with a lee hand loader . I can load enough ammo for a weekends worth of fun in an evening. I've had it for thirty some years 357 caliber...
    Bullet1234 likes this.

that Classic turret is a TANK... good press.. but i dont think i would get the "kit"

get the press, dies
    Classic 4 Hole Turret Press

powder drop "this is better then the 1 in the kit"
    Perfect Powder Measure

or get this
    3 Powder Measure Universal Metering Chamber

and use this to prime
    Hand Priming Tool

the press primer suck

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    that Classic turret is a TANK... good press.. but i dont think i would get the "kit"

get the press, dies
    Classic 4 Hole Turret Press

powder drop "this is better then the 1 in the kit"
    Perfect Powder Measure

or get this
    3 Powder Measure Universal Metering Chamber

and use this to prime
    Hand Priming Tool

the press primer suck
    I keep hearing priming on the press is a bear. Do you find using the hand priming tool slows you down?

no... i resize a ton of brass, then watch TV as i prime.... then load...
    or pre prime, and store in ziplocks

nothing much to reloading. I have a lee single stage and a deluxe turret press. not overly impressed with the turret. my powder measure quit sending charges so I had some squib loads to deal with. also it wouldn't rotate fully so I had to finish cycling it.

I have since disconnected the auto feed and auto index. I treat it like a second single stage. the turret single stage for 45 and the anniversary kit(which I love) for 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    nothing much to reloading. I have a lee single stage and a deluxe turret press. not overly impressed with the turret. my powder measure quit sending charges so I had some squib loads to deal with. also it wouldn't rotate fully so I had to finish cycling it.

I have since disconnected the auto feed and auto index. I treat it like a second single stage. the turret single stage for 45 and the anniversary kit(which I love) for 9mm.
    Funny -- this is exactly what I've done with the Turret press. I decided to remove the auto index because I do most of my case preparation/charging out of the press. After tumbling, I decap my shells and clean primer pockets (remove them from press).

My Lee Powder Measure is DANGEROUSLY inaccurate, so I use an RCBS QuickCharge 1500 (dispenser/scale, worth every penny). I also like to measure/double check my round's OAS before/after crimping.

In then end, this means that I use my Turret press as a Single Stage. I'm glad I bought the Turret, though, because it feels versatile (can use auto index if I want to, but not required).

I am still using the old RCBS Partner Press I acquired almost twenty years ago. One of these days I will probably get a Dillon RL550B, but for now, I don't load a huge amount of rounds so the old single stage press is doing fine. As for priming, I like to feel the primer seating in the pocket. Priming with the press would take a lot of getting used to.

I have been reloading rifle and pistol bullets with a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage for years I do not mind how slow the process is in fact I rather enjoy it. You will like any hobby start to build up your tools like case trimmer, powder scales, powder dispensers, hand primer etc. I bought the RCBS to last and so far no problems I have always lived by the rule save a nickle spend a dime. All the my re-loading tools are RCBS they have excellent service and will repond to question very fast.

Like stated earlier they have a 50.00 dollar rebate until the first of the year if you spend over 300.00 dollars on any of there equipment. BTW I think the kit they sell with this press comes with a book.

I have never own any other equipment so I can speak for the Dillion and Lee's but know that my friend with the Dillion can not say anything bad about it.

But read a book twice before loading anything and check twice each step of the process no need to hurry.
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

I recently bought the RCBS Charge Master 1500 Scale + Dispenser Combo. I'm impressed so far; it's the only accurate way I can consistently and efficiently measure powder.

currently have two RCBS single stage presses. my friend and i can double up and do a couple hundred rounds an hour of 38/357

we are ordering a progressive RCBS Pro2000 though

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I started with the Redding equivelant of the RCBS RockChucker Master Kit. Either is good. Any of the cast iron single stage "D" or "O" frame presses will last a life time.

The RockChucker kit comes with the Speer loading manual. The first 120 or so pages of that manual are the best primer on the basics of reloading I've found. Buying cheap and upgrading is the most expensive way to go. If money is tight, get the RockChucker kit - you won't have to upgrade. You may add stuff, but what you get will work. In addition to that kit you will need a vibratory cleaner (sometimes wrongly called a tumbler) and some digital calipers.

The biggest safety issue is charge accuracy. Get a good balance beam scale (the one in the RockChucker kit is just fine) and a set of check weights. Check the scale setting with the check weights every time. The weights never, ever, change. Scales do, and some are remarkably easy to set to the wrong weight. Checking with the weights elimnates both sources of error.

The RockChucker kit will work for about any rifle or pistol ammo except .50BMG. Later on, if you want to produce pistol ammo in quantity, the Dillon Square Deal B is a great way to do that. It will churn it out 5 or 6 times as fast as a single stage. I reload all my rifle cartridges on the single stage (.17Remington, .22 Hornet, .223Remington for my bolt action chuck gun, .243 Winchester, .22-250 Remington, .30-06 Springfield, 7mmMAG, 7mmWSM). I use a Dillon 550B for my handgun ammo. (.38SP, .357MAG, .380ACP, 9mmP, .45ACP). If I had an AR of some sort I'd load that ammo on the Dillon as well.

I highly recommend the RCBS RockChucker Master kit.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have liked my lee..it's been reliable..the primer press is a bit ornery, but works. The Lee perfect powder measure is very accurate (I'm very untrustworthy of automatic equipment and check a very high percentage of loads). I have used my friends dillon and it's really sweet, but I'm happy I saved hundreds of dollars and went with my lee classic turret. A Lexus is really sweet too, but I'm also happy I saved thousands and went with my little used GMC Sonoma - it still gets me to work.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links