Primer dented after seating

This is a discussion on Primer dented after seating within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; The seater is the correct size. Any trouble come about from the brass i got from some Winchester ranger ammo. It was the 124gr FMJ ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Primer dented after seating

The seater is the correct size. Any trouble come about from the brass i got from some Winchester ranger ammo. It was the 124gr FMJ 9mm NATO boxes. Do some manufacturers crimp the primer or something?

They do not go in off center. It seems to be more of a matter of skipping cleaning the primer pocket. Perhaps it stops on some crude and the other side goes a little lower.

2. Remove Ads

After proof reading the previous thread it seems it may be a good idea. To clean my primer pockets, or maybe not use the Winchester brass.

The one has an odd headstamp. WCC 10 and a circle. Different coding than any other Winchester I have come across.

It happens, if it is just dented for taget it will go bang or it wont.
    I always clean my primer pockets (ultrasonic now)
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    After proof reading the previous thread it seems it may be a good idea. To clean my primer pockets, or maybe not use the Winchester brass.

The one has an odd headstamp. WCC 10 and a circle. Different coding than any other Winchester I have come across.
    I'm pretty sure the Nato primers are crimped in which unless the crimp is removed prior to seating a primer,the primer either won't seat,or you end up cruching the primer trying to seat it,I have had some cases that when it feels like the primer doesn't wanta seat using normal pressure I remove the case and examine it,if it looks like a crimped pocket I toss it,I have more brass than I will reload in my lifetime,but I may need it someday
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Then that must be it. A lot of it gives some resistance and leaves that piece of brass behind. Probably excess brass from crimp.

Guess I should just settle on tossing some of it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    While I totally agree with the advice above, I will add that I've dented a few just like that and I've shot them all with no issues. I think it's probably fine to shoot but you'll never be sorry for being careful.
    +1 I've had a few of these (like maybe a couple hundred out of thousands of 9mmP I've loaded), shot them all, no problem.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I have a Dillon press and often have small indentations in my newly set primers. All it takes is to have a small bit of debris to land on the primer seater to cause the indentation. I have a small brush that I use to periodically clean the top of the seating die to help prevent this. I've shot thousands of rounds of dented primer rounds with no problem.
    This has been my experience also. Love the Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Nato primers are crimped in
    Yes, NATO primers are crimped in.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    It will be fine. Shoot it.
    Agreed, I have never had one fail to fire. That said I use those rounds for range use and plinking only. Never for my everyday carry or hunting situations.

Michael

I was looking up removing crimps from 9mm brass and seeing people having to remove it from the same headstamped brass. Looks like I need a swager.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links