Primer dented after seating

This is a discussion on Primer dented after seating within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was seating a primer and now it is partially dented in. It is kind of a line. Is this ok to use still? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Primer dented after seating

Primer dented after seating

I was seating a primer and now it is partially dented in. It is kind of a line. Is this ok to use still? I am sure it would magically go off, but figured I would ask for a little reassurance.

2. Remove Ads

I put questionable rounds like that in a "defective" tray on my bench, and when I'm feeling ambitious I get out the kinetic bullet puller and disassemble the rounds. Why risk damage to gun and/or you for twenty or thirty cents' worth of cartridge? Or - if you recover the bullet and powder - three cents' worth of primer?
    Eaglebeak and Tzadik like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    While I totally agree with the advice above, I will add that I've dented a few just like that and I've shot them all with no issues. I think it's probably fine to shoot but you'll never be sorry for being careful.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Never had one fail me yet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It will be fine. Shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I was seating a primer and now it is partially dented in. It is kind of a line. Is this ok to use still? I am sure it would magically go off, but figured I would ask for a little reassurance.
    do it all the time.. been loading since 93.. no issues...

Many dents occur in primer, especially when pockets are tighter on newer brass. It's very common with larger calibers also.
    Experience is the best teacher, and you will learn they shoot just fine.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

What more can I say. As long as it is just range ammo, shoot it.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I noticed that a little ring of brass was shearing off a few cases. It then sat in the priming piece on my press. When i seat a primer it presses on the bottom, hence the indent.

Figured its safe to use. Don't expect them to spontaneously fire, but like to get verify so I don't cause any trouble for myself.

So far I have had a some go in a little crooked. Those have been fine since the high side was flush. Also had some get squeezed in, creating the ring of brass bulging on the side. I just scrape it off with my nail. The dent was new to me.

I have never had one go in off center and have not had a ring of brass issue from a primer pocket. In my opinion, a slight indentation made by the primer seated is normal; everything else you described is not. I would shut down operations, and get someone with experience to view these other things.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

^^^^ What he said ^^^^ Have some one look at it ... are you tumbling you brass to clean it or is this new brass?
    Son remeber this and you will go far ........

"The gunfight is in the head, not in the hands."
    +++++
    "God is Great... Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy"
    +++++

I have a Dillon press and often have small indentations in my newly set primers. All it takes is to have a small bit of debris to land on the primer seater to cause the indentation. I have a small brush that I use to periodically clean the top of the seating die to help prevent this. I've shot thousands of rounds of dented primer rounds with no problem.
    Majorlk likes this.

I wouldn't use such loads for hunting or carrying purposes but for range/target ammunition I'm fine with firing it off.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You are using the correct seat for the size primer you're using, aren't you?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You didn't say what press your using, but I know my Dillon has specs for setting the primer ram to eliminate over pressure on the primer. Variances in primer pockets can still cause issues. These can be eliminated by using a primer pocket uniformer but personally I only use them on my rifle cartridges and don't worry too awful much about the pistol cartridges.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links