Accurate clarifies load data changes

This is a discussion on Accurate clarifies load data changes within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I thought folks would be interested in this. I inquired through the accuratepowder.com web site: Edition 3.5 of the Accurate load data pdf has significant ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Accurate clarifies load data changes

I thought folks would be interested in this. I inquired through the accuratepowder.com web site:
    Edition 3.5 of the Accurate load data pdf has significant changes from edition 3.2.2. Specifically, in 3.2.2 for 357 magnum 158gr XTP with #9 it shows a starting load of 13.5 and a top load of 15.0 gr. But in the 3.5 version of the manual it shows a starting load of 12.4 and a top load of 13.8. That’s a very disturbing change, both on the low and high ends. Can you help me understand what justifies the difference? Was the earlier load unsafe? Is the newer load just more conservative? Or did the powder change? I’m sure the ”right” answer is to use the newer numbers, but I need more information than that if I am to trust these newer numbers. Thanks!
    I received the following response:
    It’s actually all about the SAAMI standards for the 357 Magnum.
    There is no correlation between the old CUP pressure specification (<45000 CUP) and the latest Psi specification.
    Since we only test with the latest equipment the data was adjusted for the lower <35000 Psi limit.
    The irony is that the older data will still be safe.
    Also the international CIP spec which makes more sense and is closer to the older/original level is <43500 Psi

"The irony is that the older data will still be safe."

Then why the change? It could also be said that there is no correlation between the previously published data and the CUP pressure specification (<45000 CUP) and the latest Psi specification.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The original load from Col Wessons new " magnum" had a velocity of 1600 fps from an 8 inch tube. With it he killed everything in America, including great bears.

I stated that to make this point; the loads of today are watered down shadows of what they once were. When you consider that now, you can fire a 357 magnum " safetly from a j frame when in the past it was designed for an N frame. Kinda makes you wonder just how far down they have really changed factory fodder.
    The last 357 loads I put together were chronoed at 1530 fps from a 4 inch N frame. They were safe in that gun and showed absolutely no over pressure signs. I suspect they would handily fragment a newer M 60 j frame rated for 357.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Accurate , like Unique, may have made some changes. The new Unique is hotter than the old.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "The irony is that the older data will still be safe."

Then why the change? It could also be said that there is no correlation between the previously published data and the CUP pressure specification (<45000 CUP) and the latest Psi specification.
    That bit is what I was really wanting to hear. I'm sure the lawyers won't let them publish loads that go beyond what their "latest test equipment" says. But they also wouldn't want to say they previously published unsafe data, unless they absolutely had to. This statement reassures me that the change isn't due to any known problems occurring due to the earlier load data.

The modern trend toward lighter weight guns might be the reason for SAAMI spec changes. They could (should?) have defined an intermediate class of firearms between 38 special +P and full 357, rather than watering down the standard for all 357 mag. But if the same rounds would fit both, I guess that could result in some careless people blowing up guns.

Bottom line, what I care about is what works safely in my 357 magnums. I'm glad to hear the earlier Accurate data should be safe.

I'm old fashioned. I like big .357 Magnum revolvers and heavy charges of 2400 behind 158 grain bullets, as it was intended.

No flea-weight revolvers with .357 Magnum, shooting .357 Magnum "-P" for me.

The foolish American handgun market has made quite a few handguns that are just too small. They make good trinkets.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links