My first reloading kit.

This is a discussion on My first reloading kit. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I got a Lee Precision kit for Christmas from a friend, complete with a box of brass, powder, primers, case lube, bullets, and everything, for ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gunthorp
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: My first reloading kit.

My first reloading kit.

I got a Lee Precision kit for Christmas from a friend, complete with a box of brass, powder, primers, case lube, bullets, and everything, for .45ACP. Already got 2 or 3 mags worth of ammo made, and even managed to blow a primer while seating it. That woke me up. No big deal, I used to light up firecrackers in my hand as a kid. Then, I messed up about 4 more primers, in a row. I took out the brass, and noticed the primer seat was smaller than normal. Turns out, this one was sized for small pistol primers, not large ones. Then I had to go through all my brass, and I ended up with around 6 cases, out of nearly 200. Does anyone know if this is normal, and should I inspect every single case from now on?

Also, can I use any petroleum based lube for my brass? I have mink oil sitting around, plus Vaseline. Would these work for case lube?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I clean and inspect everything, sort headstamps, record each batch's history, but carbide sizing doesn't require lubing straight walled cases. Wear safety glasses around primers. Welcome to the "roll your own" club.
    Dumbledork likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I noticed the Federal "clean" (lead-free?) and the Win "NT" .45 ACP ammo uses small pistol primers... what a PITA. Yep, you need to sort 'em out in advance, OR be sensitive to the fact your primer isn't seating with the normal amount of force. In any stage of reloading - if it won't go, don't force it. A primer detonating in a press is nothing to be too casual about.

As gunthorp stated, if you have carbide dies, you don't need to lube your cases. Otherwise, a dry-film lube like Hornady is pretty convenient. Lay your cases down on a cookie tray and qive 'em a quick spray, roll 'em over, and spray again.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You definitely want to invest in a carbide resizer and skip the lube on staight-walled cases. Some brands are switching to small primers where traditionally large primers were used. You gotta check that when picking up range brass. Sort your cases by primer size and load the small primers separately, or toss them as some do.

No, don't use petroleum lubes on cases. It can ruin the powder. Like I said--carbide resizer!

"...even managed to blow a primer while seating it. That woke me up. No big deal..."

Yes it is! Eye damage? Hearing damage? Possibility of powder being around? It sounds like you need to pay a little more attention to your reloading process. We've all (us reloaders) have crunched/inverted a primer here and there (it happens), but it's usually a result of not paying attention.
    SR40c and Dumbledork like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm just starting reloading .45 (w/ a Lee Loader kit). I found several small primer cases while cleaning the primer seat. I deprime, then use a medium screwdriver to clean the seat. The screwdriver fits perfectly into a large seat, so if it doesn't fit, I toss the case, then move on to tumbling with the good ones.

Easier for me to do it this way than to visually check every case.

Lots of fun so far !!
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    I'm just starting reloading .45 (w/ a Lee Loader kit). I found several small primer cases while cleaning the primer seat. I deprime, then use a medium screwdriver to clean the seat. The screwdriver fits perfectly into a large seat, so if it doesn't fit, I toss the case, then move on to tumbling with the good ones.

Easier for me to do it this way than to visually check every case.

Lots of fun so far !!
    I've found quite a few cases with small primer seats. Won't small pistol primers work just as well? I'd hate to waste the brass.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I use a hand primer, I seem to be able to feel the resistance better. I have ran on to a few 9mm with smaller primer holes. I just throw out the brass and move on.

I started with Lee Pro 1000 progressive reloader,I now use Dillon,the Lee Priming setup sucks,using gravity and the weight of other primers to load the primer in the correct spot,I had a buncha primers seated sideways and sometimes even upside down.I have never blown a primer,I know about how much pressure it takes to seat a primer,if it's not goinf I stop and find out why it's not,I found some 9mm brass one time that had crimped in primers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First, congrats on getting into reloading. It "completes the shooting circle of life" to me. I detest the 45s that use SP. I sort them out and use them for making dummy rounds for checking OAL for new bullets, etc. Some folks load them for field use--if you lose them, no big deal. Aside from that, I agree with the lube, carbide die, and safety comments, and will offer that you don't need to clean the primer pocket unless you are a precision target shooter (and even then I would question the value).

Have fun and be safe.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    I've found quite a few cases with small primer seats. Won't small pistol primers work just as well? I'd hate to waste the brass.
    Good point, I guess, but so far I've only found a very small fraction of SP cases. I guess if I could come up with a small handful of small primers I'd do it, but I'm not going to buy a thousand (or even a hundred) primers just to get another few rounds loaded.

I guess when I said "toss the case" I didn't actually mean dispose of; good idea to keep 'em around for some future purpose.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Links