Lee Bulge Buster

This is a discussion on Lee Bulge Buster within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone using this die? It installs in the Lee factory crimp die. I already have the crimp die. Should I buy another just to use ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Majorlk

Thread: Lee Bulge Buster

Lee Bulge Buster

Anyone using this die? It installs in the Lee factory crimp die. I already have the crimp die. Should I buy another just to use with the Bulge Buster? Also I assume you still need to re-size before using the bulge buster? Correct?

Lee Bulge Buster - YouTube
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

The bulge buster is a waste of money! It's a marketing solution in search of a problem. If your sizing die is properly adjusted, it will resize any so-called bulge in a case just fine - and this includes Lee's dies. I have several sets and all resize my pistol ammo to the correct size without any further "assistance".
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My 30+ year old RCBS .45 ACP carbide die must be a "bulge buster" as its been producing sized cases well within "spec" for me since about 1979.

This sounds hokey to me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If I'm reloading brass that has been shot out of one of my pistols, I'll usually just reload it, but, if I'm using range brass, in .45, or .40, I usually push it through a Lee factory Crimp die, to make the brass straight, and it will also find boogers on the sides of the headstamp.

That is all I'll use a Lee Factory crimp die for. If you use a factory crimp die, with old, well-used brass, the brass won't be soft, and will have a tendency to spring back, but, it has already mushed the soft bullet undersized, giving you a really good chance of getting setback, which causes Kabooms.

A straight piece of brass stacks better in a magazine, reducing feeding issues. If you are just putzing at the range-no worries, but, if you are competing, or defending your life, you want every advantage you can get.

Links