Mild .357 handload advice needed - Page 2

Mild .357 handload advice needed

This is a discussion on Mild .357 handload advice needed within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Light charges of H110, Win296, 2400, and 4227 are just recipes for "yuck" performance and nastiness in a revolver bore full of partially burned powder ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mild .357 handload advice needed

Senior Moderator
    Light charges of H110, Win296, 2400, and 4227 are just recipes for "yuck" performance and nastiness in a revolver bore full of partially burned powder granules.
    Amen to that. Well stated.

Light loads of any of the above are simply asking the powder to do what it was not meant to do.

I went though this exact thing about 20 years ago. After trying dozens of powders, I settled on Accurate #5.
    Its specifically recommended for light to medium loads and is a very versatile powder, going from the mild .38's up to the mild .44 magnums.

Using Keith style semi wad-cutters loaded to 1000 fps, I had loads that were very accurate in my .357 Dan Wesson with a 6" barrel that were very pleasant to shoot.
    This also works well with .45 ACP, 40,9mm and .44.

Using 240 Keith style LSWC at 1000 fps is my favorite load for my Colt .44 Anaconda. Its accurate out to 100 yards and is another load that I can shoot all day.

Accurate #5 is good stuff. Low flash, low smoke, good for most pistol calibers if you just want plinking loads this is some of the better stuff out there.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Using Keith style semi wad-cutters loaded to 1000 fps, I had loads that were very accurate in my .357 Dan Wesson with a 6" barrel that were very pleasant to shoot.
    This is my bullet of choice for moderate loads in 357 44spcl an 44 mag. I'm sure there are better powders but I have used this bullet on top of a charge of Unique since the late 60's.

Michael

I use Titegroup for light practice loads, Unique for moderate loads and 2400 for full power loads in a 2 inch barrel. The Unique is my least favorite powder of the three. Someday when time allows I'll try something different. I don't think the Unique likes a lot of open space in the case.

I talked with Sheriff Jim Wilson, of "Shooting Times", prior to a Tennesee hog hunt a number of years ago concerning H110 and cast bullets. My load, was a 315 grn 44 hardcast swc over as much H110 as I could stuff under it. We both felt like the trouble with a hardcast bult and a slow burning powder is that the base can melt in the barrel due to the higher velocities obtained with slower burning powders.

The bullet worked fine, with minimal leading after a couple dozen rounds. Probably due in part to hardness of bullet matched with the right velocity, which negated a gas check.

So, to echo bmcgilvray, do not play with slow burning powders unless you are seeking the highest velocity possible. For the low velocity 357, Unique, Universal, Bullseye, and similar burn rate powders will give you the optimal results.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks for all the good info. Gives me lots to think about, some things to try, and just as important, some things to avoid.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Powder Choice

Deadhawg, I've had pretty good results from Power Pistol and 158 grain bullets in .357 Magnum. I haven't tried 135 grain bullets, but there must be a load for it.

The slower powders will give a 'gentler' pressure curve and from that a 'gentler' acceleration of the bullet and therefore a less abrupt recoil pulse. However, slower powders have to be in the proper pressure range to burn properly. As noted, at lower pressures (load levels) they tend to burn incompletely, give erratic velocities and in extreme events, detonate.

By the way, the powders and load that give the highest velocities in 'long' barrels give the highest velocities in 'short' barrels. The penalty in shooting slow powders in a short barrel is excessive muzzle flash and blast.

The fastest powders, Bullseye, Clays and such burn well, but abruptly and the recoil pulse is delivered over a very short period of time.

So probably something in the 231, Power Pistol or Unique range sounds about right. There are a number of possibilities, but I haven't gotten to all of them yet.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links