Reloading for AR15/Bushmaster Varminter (.223)

This is a discussion on Reloading for AR15/Bushmaster Varminter (.223) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just purchased my first AR15 which happens to be the Bushmaster Varminter. I reload off of my 550B for all my handgun rounds and ...

Thread: Reloading for AR15/Bushmaster Varminter (.223)

I just purchased my first AR15 which happens to be the Bushmaster Varminter. I reload off of my 550B for all my handgun rounds and my bolt action 30.06. I have never reloaded for a AR 15 or .223 I am curious is anybody has any advice for this particular combination, and if there are any economical but accurate starter loads that the Varminter may like. Of course any load I start with, I will modify to what this gun likes, but looking for a starting point. Make/weight of .223 round, etc.

Thanks.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I've used a AR w/ 1:8 twist hb for prairie dogs in CO for the last 3 yrs. My load of choice 26.4gr of BLC2 under a 55gr sierra blitzking (1455). OAL 2.229. Hard on dogs out to 500yds, past that I have a hard time seeing them per the mirage. We have a good time hitting 2 liter size targets at the home club range at ~550yds. I use Sierra 2nds because they are 1/2 the cost of retail. If you can make the pilgrimage to Sedalia, MO, it's worth the tour and low prices on 2nds. Use once fired brass; buy sized, trimmed, and primer pocket swaged if available, usually well worth the few extra bucks if your doing over 500.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

the new horandy 53gr vmax is the new king of BC for varmit rounds.... lots of good 55/53/50gr load data to use...

75/77gr are fun out to 1k

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    60gr Nosler BT over 23gr Benchmark 2.26 OAL 3000-3100fps (have not chrono'd)

Good accuracy from my 16" flattop. Looking forward to trying them on some coyotes soon.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Links