How did you get started?

How did you get started?

This is a discussion on How did you get started? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Seen alot of posts about why folks started but not much on how you went about it. I started in grade school during the mid ...

Thread: How did you get started?

How did you get started?

Seen alot of posts about why folks started but not much on how you went about it.

I started in grade school during the mid 60's. Used my paper route and pop bottle money to set up my first reloading rig. I purchased a Lyman 310 tong tool and a set of dies in 30-40 and 30-30 cals. Purchased a Lyman M-5 scale to weigh out loads. Bought me a Lyman 311291 mold and I was set to go. I cast up my bullets on top moms cooking stove in the kitchen using an old steel cooking pan.
    When I bought powder I would buy a 1/2 pound of Unique as I used it the most but might pick up a 1/4 pound of 3031 for my friends 30-30. Still remember how the guy at the shop would open up big kegs of powder he had lining the wall and weigh out the amount I needed into a paper sack like you used to get your penny candy in. He did prefer though that you bring in old coffee cans if you could for the powder.

With this setup I was murder on squirrels and rabbits using cast bullets on top of a load of Unique powder in my Krag. Then When I got in Jr High and bought my first 22 I quit using the krag for small game.
    Last edited by mlr1m; February 10th, 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Links