Best Powder Scale?

This is a discussion on Best Powder Scale? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; The Redding beam scale is a forever scale as well. I find it very accurate but you have to "learn" how to zero and operate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Powder Scale?

The Redding beam scale is a forever scale as well. I find it very accurate but you have to "learn" how to zero and operate any scale. No mater who's scale you get spend a few hours learning how to zero it and practice weighing charges until you understand how that particular scale "swings" approaching zero. I believe a set of check weights is vital to safely using any scale and treat them and the scale itself as the precision instruments they are. In IMO Redding is hard to beat across the board for any and all handloading equipment.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

2. Remove Ads

IMHO the RCBS Chargemaster is, by far, the finest scale of any kind to be had anywhere.

But the RCBS and Redding balance-beam scales are both excellent for beginners and experienced reloaders alike.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

The solution I've been using is about $65-70 and it's worked well for 2 years now:

RightOnScales.com - Jennings JScale Mack 20 Precision Digital Scale - Digital Scales

This reads out at 0.01 gr, plus about a dozen other units, one being milligrams. My desire was for a scale that provided higher resolution than 0.1 gr, just so I could better see how variable the throw weights are coming out of the powder measure. Milligrams is a more enjoyable unit for the low charges used in small handgun calibers anyway, for me, so I like the option of reading out a 3 digit number with no decimal points--it's just easier and more satisfying to me. This is not an issue of wanting "precision" charge weights--it was just a desire to see a little more detail about how the powder measure was settling in after the charge bar was changed, after powder is changed, etc. But, I definitely wanted milligrams as an option, too, and at the time didn't see that as an option with many scales sold for reloading.

I assume you're looking for a scale to monitor what the powder measure is throwing--you should be able to do that accurately for $35-55 easily. I just believe there are more versatile, more fun and more accurate options than those repackaged scales sold by the reloading gear suppliers. Again, I don't believe more accuracy is needed, and that wasn't quite my objective--but you can get it while spending less.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I like the small electronic ones available today, and use a Harrel for my bench gun. But what some simple comparisons will reveal is they all do NOT track the same.

I'd suggest a name brand beam scale and a calibration set as standards. While Lee makes decent stuff, scales are NOT something to be cheap on. RCBS has been a standard for a long time, as are several others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links