Best Powder Scale?

Best Powder Scale?

This is a discussion on Best Powder Scale? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Im looking for a powder scale. I have a Lee safety scale that is extremely hard to zero and will not hold zero at all. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Powder Scale?

Best Powder Scale?

Im looking for a powder scale. I have a Lee safety scale that is extremely hard to zero and will not hold zero at all. Im a recreational shooter not looking for competition level accuracy. I just want to make safe reloads. I reload mainly for a Glock 23 and just want an accurate scale, preferably not hard to use. Not looking to spend a ton either. Any suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Dillon Eliminator

its blue and hold -o- well even when 'winded' by people's movement.
    settles down quickly and is .1 or better accurate. does not stick
    when using a dribbler.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

RCBS Chargemaster 1500. A little pricey but it is outstanding. Very accurate.

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/RCBS-Ch...0_p_16300.html

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The Lee is kinda finicky... My buddy and I own one. He is for some reason unable to use it at all. I use it with perfect consistency. Anyway, I don't have experience with other scale, but thought I'd throw in that I find the the Lee AutoDisk Powder Measure/dispenser to be very consistent. I used to check every round...then every fifth round... after never finding any out of tolerance, I don't have to check as often.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alien319 View Post
    RCBS Chargemaster 1500. A little pricey but it is outstanding. Very accurate.

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/RCBS-Ch...0_p_16300.html

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    This is the way to go - very accurate and will do it's thing while you do the next step on the prior round.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    RCBS 505 beam scale. Will last forever, very consistant, and unlike digital scales, no warm up needed and batteries will never go dead. With its magnetic dampening, it settles in a second or two.
    Stubborn and gasmitty like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What OldVet said.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I use the RCBS ChargeMaster as a very easy to adjust pre-measure for rifle ammo. I set it about 0.2g below the desired charge, dump into the Ohaus 10-10 and trickel to final weight. I do not use it for final charge. I tried that but was getting larger velocity variations than I was used to, so I started dumping the charges from the ChargeMaster into my balance beam scale and was amazed to find charge variations of up to +/- 0.3g. If you do use the ChargeMaster as
    it was intended, lift the pan off the scale, set it back, and make sure it settles out at the right weight. Sometimes it doesn't.

If I test the ChargeMaster with the check weights, it's right every time. But it doesn't weigh powder accurately enough for my rifle ammo. I think it has something to do with the dynamics of the measuring process and the fact that powder may sometimes clump out of the tube at the last tube twitch.

I use my older than dirt Ohaus 10-10 (same as the RCBS 10-10) to trickel to weight. I set up the 10-10 to the nearest half grain using my scale check weights and then move the vernier a couple tenths to the desired charge. That guarentees repeatability from session to session for my rifle ammo. I use the digital scale on the ChargeMaster to set up the powder measure on the Dillon for handgun ammo.

I have two powder measures - one is a Redding BR3 with micrometer settings for both rifle and pistol charges. The other is a Lyman 55. Neither one works worth pooh on extruded rifle powders like IMR4350 or IMR7828. Spherical powders like AA2460, W760, W231, and similar, they work great but take a long time to set up - so I just get them close and trickel to weight.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have an RCBS 505 and a Dillon D Terminator. Both have worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I have an RCBS 505 and a Dillon D Terminator. Both have worked well for me.
    These are my choices. Neither is an economy scale, but then I really wouldn't recommend skimping on a reloading scale. You are betting your safety on it and a good one should last a long, long time.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I have the RCBS Rangemaster 750. It has been a very reliable scale for me.

It comes with two checkweights like a lot of other scales do, but they are much heavier than any powder charge you would drop. I unfolded a paper clip into a shape that stands up on its own with its own little handle. It is 7.8 grains and is very useful for checking accuracy/repeatablilty at a weight that is more common with pistol powder charges.

Rangemaster 750. Just had it replaced by RCBS for 35 bucks and the new one starts the one year warranty. Good CS. The old one had a problem settling a charge weight. The numbers would continually vascillate. No jerk around by RCBS on gettin a new scale. I just had to mail in my old one.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I've a Hornady beam scale, don't know the model 'cause I got it 15 years ago and I just don't keep track of those things...anyway works like a charm and a little easier to deal with than the LEE I got it to replace. It'll weigh powder, bullets, cases, small puppies, whatever you need an accurate weight on. (Maybe not the puppies). Works well for me....Oh....and it's red too, so it kinda blends in with my LEE stuff...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I use a lee safety scale that holds a zero with no problem,are you sure your not missind the little "friction" pins that keeps the slide from moving once you set it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have been reloading for 30 years so this is my experience only. For low volume reloading (50-300 rounds per month) for most pistols I don't think you can go wrong using Lee powder measures. They are cheap, easy to use, and quick. Backed up with a RCBS 10-10 or a decent digital scale (Frankfort Arsenal) from Midway you can load a lot for a little. Rifle,target, and hunting loads are little different. I weigh each of those. Most pistol shooters ,my self included get hooked on one or two powders which makes the Lee measures great. I currently use Unique and Titegroup for 9mm,.40, and .357. My 3006 loads have 7 different powders, dependening on use. Hope we have helped. I think I like reloading and the quest for accuracy about as much as shooting.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links