reloading the .45 ACP

reloading the .45 ACP

This is a discussion on reloading the .45 ACP within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I recently purchased some once fired .45 brass from gun broker.. I cleaned the brass when received and all has been sized. I began the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: reloading the .45 ACP

reloading the .45 ACP

I recently purchased some once fired .45 brass from gun broker.. I cleaned the brass when received and all has been sized. I began the bell and prime process to find that among the 1000 pieces purchased were several head stamped Federal with two size primer pockets.. one for Large Pistol and one for Small Pistol. I am not sure how to adjust my loads to accomodate the smaller ignition process from the small pistol primer. I don't want to use magnum small pistol for fear of pressure problems. Any suggestions? I have been loading 230 grain round nose with 6.3 grns of Unique
    Thanks!!
    Dan

Dan,

I really don't think that there will any measurable difference. Is the flash hole the same size? Are some marked +P? Is there a weight difference between the cases? I would just separate them into 2 lots and load as normal, that way you can test them side by side and see if there is a difference.

Bob

Good question - but I just throw those annoying small-primer Fed cases away when I pick them up by mistake.

Previously discussed here: Federal .45 ACP Cases - Small Primers
    Eaglebeak and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Yeah, I ran onto my first range pickup annoyance in the form of a Federal .45 ACP case with a small primer while priming a batch. I may start a repository for saving such Federal cases or I may toss them in the trash can as I did this one I found in my batch.

6.3 grains of Unique with a 230 grain bullet sounds perfectly fine for .45 ACP cases with either style primers.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have not encountered this before, but the last time at the range there was a guy tossing anything but Federal so I was keeping it. He was shooting a Thompson which was pretty cool. I have always tried to seperate my brass not sure it makes much difference in loads, I'm just tight that way. Some people have a different word for it.

The Federal primer annoyance strikes again. I just put them to the side, and when I have enough, load'em and shoot'em, not caring if I can find them again.
    Bullet1234 and OldVet like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I have not encountered this before, but the last time at the range there was a guy tossing anything but Federal so I was keeping it. He was shooting a Thompson which was pretty cool. I have always tried to seperate my brass not sure it makes much difference in loads, I'm just tight that way. Some people have a different word for it.
    for long distance rifle shooting it does make a difference. even cases from the same manufacture change over time. and the weight of the case affects is volume, capacity and burn pressure. thus, accuracy.

but 45acp, even in my bullseye gun, different cases make -0- difference in accuracy.
    cull any too high or low as that will change the taper crimp. and if you trust in neck tension alone, than keep track of times fired.

---as for those annoying small primer cases; i toss them in a box and offer them free to those who buy brass. not many want them who have progressive presses cause it means changing out the primer assembly. ignation wise i've not noticed a difference.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    If you are not going to reload them at least sell them to a scrap dealer. You should get a bout $1 per pound. It's free money.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have found the same annoyance recently with both some Federal and also CCI Blazer Brass .45ACP: small pistol primers.
    I mean, what the H is up with that???
    Saving a fraction of a penny per round by using a small pistol primer???
    I really don't get it.
    I know I can reload them but have chosen instead to throw them away.
    I am baffled as to why a company would suddenly change primer size after a century of reloading the thing.

What a common question any more, and an irritating issue with which to deal. They load just the same as those requiring LPP. I hold mine to make dummy rounds and for field use when I don't want to or can't retrieve the brass.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
    I have found the same annoyance recently with both some Federal and also CCI Blazer Brass .45ACP: small pistol primers.
    I mean, what the H is up with that???
    Saving a fraction of a penny per round by using a small pistol primer???
    I really don't get it.

I know I can reload them but have chosen instead to throw them away.
    I am baffled as to why a company would suddenly change primer size after a century of reloading the thing.
    A fraction of a penny per round times the number of rounds produced per day adds up in a hurry. That's why companies make what seems pointless changes to save a penny per item. To the individual it's a penny. To the company it's big bucks in added profit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Seems like the bigger primer pocket would use less brass, therefor saving money.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsored Links